Frequent Crashing

Hi all, it seems like Oblivion definitely does not like me anymore!

I'll get straight to the point.

For no reason whatsoever, Oblivion will now crash after a few minutes no matter how I configure anything and its the first time this type of crash has occurred to me whilst playing. It has happened 6 times, 5 during the final mission for the Dark Brotherhood (during end of dialogue, trying to bring up the Journal, trying to Wait, trying to Save...cant remember the other two)

I have been using the Stutter Remover alongside Streamline for a long while with little problems, so I thought that by removing the Stutter Remover since it has no esp would perhaps solve it and not interfere with Streamline. Wrong. I've changed the Page File/VRAM size from an initial 512 with a maximum of 4096. Still wrong. Been running the game with gamebooster and weops for a long while as well, still doesnt stop the crash. This is my favourite game but now in all honesty its becoming an aggravating experience seeing as it would go for 3 hours with no errors once upon a time with 72 mods running! Whats more worrying is that it is causing a Blue Screen error, the Kernel Page one and with 1gb of RAM i'm surprised at this (2GB RAM is not liked by my rig and gave this error many times after a few minutes on other games as well as Oblivion)

If you guys want I can post a dxdiag. One of the cases may be bad RAM, but I found I had less trouble with the two I put back in to have 1GB. I dont think its my graphics card but im using a Sapphire Radeon x1900XTX 512MB PCI-E card and the processor is a Pentium Extreme Cell Core that runs at roughly 3Ghz. Could it also be that its crashing due to overheating? The tower feels pretty warm after a while too.

The problem could be that you are only just within the recommended specs. Therefore, you are partially right about overheating. Oblivion may be putting a lot of stress on your computer. Try turning the settings right down

Yeah I've set the video settings to Medium with Bloom. The game seems smoother but I didnt get a lot of time to mess around enough. Temps seem to be fine...although one temp out of the three ranges between 51C and 55C when im out-of-game. Another oddity is that the splash screen would set the video settings to Ultra High with HDR, I know for certain the comp cant handle it so I did have it set to High with Bloom.

Have you changed your mods in any way, recently?

Will this happen if you simply load your character, and wait around without going anywhere?

Are you using autosave and/or quicksave?

I did, just the once whilst upgrading Streamline 3.0 to 3.1. Idiotically I changed everything in the /data folder, and only when I started investigating I've left the esp for 3.1 unchecked using the older 3.0 version so I will downgrade back to 3.0 as Im pretty sure its confused looking around for the older files when the folder itself is with the updated files . I did happen twice when I tried to load my character after manually altering the BSA Invalidation feature via OBMM for pretty much everything. Then I installed the ArchiveInvalidation/Invalidated mod, that fixed it instantly and I was able to load my character. I have Streamsave enabled, quicksave and autosave are turned off.

I'm going to revert back to Streamline 3.0 as well and see how its goes, im using BOSS too and when I get the chance I'll load the game back up and leave my character idle and see if it can go for 20 minutes. I'll post how it all responds

Well, I managed to get a solid/expectant of crash hour or so of gameplay! After I re-arranged my streamline folder, kept the 3.1 version files and just deleted the 3.0 esp and enabled 3.1 seems to have been the solution. I'm not holding my breath for too long though but thanks for your suggestions people, they've made a huge difference by making me not overestimate my specs and to actually stop and think about what i've changed :sweat: