Missing guard post model

GrimSimon

So, I had a helluva time getting rid of one of the backpack mods. The solution involved me removing everything one mod at a time, starting up, saving, then quitting. Repeat until every mod is removed.

Now, I have to go back and fix a bunch of stuff that was removed when I took mods out. One problem I've run into, is that the tall guard post model is...missing, or broken. It's a base asset from the unmodded game. I get a big red diamond with a '!' symbol in it wherever I've built one. The mouse-over still correctly identifies what should be there, and even the build menu shows the same diamond with '!' for that item. I can build them, but then I can't get rid of them because I can't select the error symbol.

Anyone experience this? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks!

GS

can you store them in the workshop and then build them again? If the mouse over shows what it is you possibly can hit the store button.

Yeah, I can store them, but the model in the build menu also shows up with the same symbol. So I end up with a bunch of weird stuff stored that I can't use.

Not sure if it's the texture that's missing, or the model.

it will be the model, Missing textures show as pink objects not the Red Diamond with the "!" (That is missing mesh.)

Do you have a mod that changed the guard towers in any way? Did any mod have custom Guard towers? I ask because the vanilla meshes can't go missing there all packed in the BA2 archives and removing a mod shouldn't cause this issue.

Edit, that is unless you removed the mod's meshes but still have the .esp active.

Edited by chucksteel

it will be the model, Missing textures show as pink objects not the Red Diamond with the "!" (That is missing mesh.)

Do you have a mod that changed the guard towers in any way? Did any mod have custom Guard towers? I ask because the vanilla meshes can't go missing there all packed in the BA2 archives and removing a mod shouldn't cause this issue.

Edit, that is unless you removed the mod's meshes but still have the .esp active.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing I have done will have changed those. Could something have changed the reference to the model?

I use Homemaker, and a bunch of building mods, improved junk fences, but those are the only ones I can think of that might have affected that model.

Look at improved junk fences if (and I don't know for sure) it changed the guard tower in a way that it snapped with the fences and added a mesh then that could be the problem.

if you are talking about Snapable Junk Fences it does add new meshes for the guard towers and you may be missing them. Try to re-install the mod and see if that fixes the issue.

I finally fixed the issue with a brute force approach. I backed up my save and NMM dirs, removed the game from my system, then reinstalled it from scratch, then restored all the saves and mods. It seems to be working now, except for a strange behaviour with the workshop where using the console additem command to give myself resources doesn't always work. I get the item, but the workshop doesn't see it. It's weird.

Thanks for everyone's help.