Xenomorph as in Alien movie

swinka6666

That's an awesome load of stuff you got working here :)

I'm not feeling bad about you stopping it honestly, because I really think it would be really out of the whole xcom universe but still... Great work!

If you have any general questions about 3d modelling (I'm using Maya so I have no idea whatsoever about Blender) feel free to ask. I'm modelling stuff for the past 5-6 years. I just never bothered with skeletons/rigs/animations and that's why you don't see new models in ABA yet... At some point when I have the time to do so I'll start learning them but until them I can only add static meshes like helmets but the mod community is full of them already. I'd really like to have a guy like you in ABA team as well... I'd get much more stuff done much faster and that's from someone who hates working in teams with passion :D

Anyways... Any general help you might need with modelling feel free to hit me up. You know me here, on reddit and on steam.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, here is the thing - this mesh model is from http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/puo-65112.html

Bones structure is done from scratch.

The case is that author of this model gives permission for:

Usage:

Personal use

only for:

Educational purposes

Fan art

Game mod

Machinima

But also he is stating that those stuff is:

"rigged 3d model with textures from VG "Alien: Isolation"

So it is at least stinking in terms of what can be used as asset in mod.

And that without getting to deep into intellectual rights, because we can get to original design by Hans Rudolf Giger.

Is here someone who can tell more in that legal matter?

I'm quite excited to resolve that problem by making "fan art 3d model" by myself,

or to buy 3d model with no legal caveats when used in mod (Yeah, donations :tongue: ).

And I'm ready to not use any name conventions reserved by others.

But I need someone to put light on my doubts.

I really wouldn't worry about the legality of using ripped models and animations in modding. A lot of mods in many games have used ripped models and have yet to suffer any repurcussions for them. I mean, for XCOM 2 itself some of the biggest mods up on the Steam Workshop include:

Halo Reach: Mjolnir Spartan Armor Variants

Halo Customizable Armors

Halo Reach Weapons

All of those mods rip off entire sets of models from Halo games wholesale, and yet they're still up on the Workshop.

The important thing to remember about the legality of all of this is that so long as you're not profiting from the use of these assets, use of those models is fair game. Now if you're setting up a Patreon account to get paid by people to rip and use these models on the other hand, then you might get in deep water then, but seeing as you're not you should be fine.

Edit2: Didn't he used some pike/staff? Maybe archon staff would be better than riffle?

The Predator's arsenal depends on which specific one you're talking about, but they all have the shoulder gun (plasma caster). Some of them (Predator 2 Predator, one of the AvP Predators, Scarface from Concrete Jungle) do have a staff like weapon called a combistick.