Rocket: Mini Boomer Child Companion

Cyberweasel89

Ill sum up my thoughts on this thread because there are far to many points I want to pinpoint in detail,

This is a request, drop your ideals and stay away if you dont like it. There is no reason to go back and

forth about whether a point should be done or not, constructive criticism is fine but you cant try to force

the request another way.

I wont post my ideals and full opinions,

but I like the original base character concept, I would put it in my game, I might not use it but it would

be another character to pick, or not. If I had any ability to make mods I would help.

Thos are my thoughts on the matter.

won't sell with your audience.

I think we would both be surprised here, sadly.

But I do agree over the entie line that 10 years and sexual knowledge are a big nono.

Even the li'll fraggle in Kintergarten Cop "boys have a penis, girls a vagina" was somewhat creepy, lol.

Funny, since the kid was saying something, whilst having a big question mark floating around, he clearly didn't know what he said.

When I said "won't sell with your audience", I mean it doesn't seem authentic to the character and that makes the character less enjoyable, imo. That's all. You can make a character anything you want and to varying degrees of whatever. I have no objection to mouthy kids or precocious kids (I loved the obnoxious kids in FO3 and like I said earlier I love South Park). If the kid has a reason for knowing about sex then fine, let her mouth off about it. That was my point. It isn't impossible for a 10 year old to know and understand about sex. 10 year olds can be, and often are, extremely intelligent and are capable of learning about it even if they aren't actually doing it, and some of them, unfortunately are forced to do it. My point was one of character crafting only.

I like the character concepts here. Sounds like a fun companion.

I know some people might think it's stupid for a little girl to use big weapons. An alternative to this would be to make her a sneaky demolitions expert. She could breakdown guns and ammo and use the parts to make explosives. She could sneak and reverse-pickpocket grenades. She can have that perk that makes her immune to landmines. She can spot landmines and disarm them for you. She can blow open locked containers. And all while, she can spout explosion-related puns (which, incidentally, would work well with her coarse sense of humor).

RE: Sex

I can believe that a kid has a "surprising knowledge of sex" but I'm having trouble thinking about WHY my character would be privy to such information. I can understand her cracking dirty jokes, but it would start to get weird if we, for example, had a frank discussion about the state of sex and sexuality in the Mojave Wasteland. Personally I'd prefer an innocent/awkard kind of humor, like "Can we go to the Atomic Wrangler? I want to meet a sexbot."

EDIT: Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to direct your idea. These are just a few humble ideas to consider. Also, I have never made a companion (or an NPC with dialog, for that matter) so I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help in making this mod.

Ah... Documn brought something to my attention...

I think you're all misunderstanding my choice of words.

She's just a sarcastic deadpan snarker prone to making dirty jokes.

You can't assume the worst like "What a *censored*. Can't charm her? Just give her a finger up the c*** and she'll be bendin' to your will in no time. Or are you too much of a virgin?", or "So then the c** spills all over the floor, and I'm like, again?! If ya know what I mean".

I'm thinking more like...

"Veronica? So she's afraid to show off her hair, right? Just yank it down and expose her neat trim. Flashing is great for curing anyone's shyness, ya know?"

Or...

"That guy needs to get laid. Whatever that means."

Or...

"Cass got mad at you for Jetting again? I guess you haven't gotten that far with her, huh?...... What? Raquel said the same thing to Jack about Janet when he walked in on her in the bathroom."

Oh, got another one. Might be too dirty even for Rocket, though.

"I heard an awesome one, dude. So... what is the sound of two hands fapping, anyway?....... Why does everyone stare at me like that when I say that one?"

Everyone think the little girl is going to be like a prostitute having sex and wanting to get laid by an adult or whatever, NO. She will be making remarks like ALMOST EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM HAS DONE: "Hahahah! That's what he/she said"

Not something like "I want to *censored* you in your *censored* tight *censored* while you squirt *censored* into my *censored* eye."

...........What?

nwnicwilli: Ah but most of us are not 10 year old girls... :P

Cyberweasel89: Ahhh now you see that is NOT what I understood when you said "seems to have a surprising knowledge of sex for her age", it makes it sound like she knows exactly where everything goes and perhaps even has done it herself thus the knowledge... or that she was exposed to people haveing sex a lot in front of her.

Not that she really does not know what half the words she is using means, but she still uses it anyways because thats what the older kids said. I figured she would be talking from personal experience of some sort.

Cyberweasel89: Ahhh now you see that is NOT what I understood when you said "seems to have a surprising knowledge of sex for her age", it makes it sound like she knows exactly where everything goes and perhaps even has done it herself thus the knowledge... or that she was exposed to people haveing sex a lot in front of her.

Not that she really does not know what half the words she is using means, but she still uses it anyways because thats what the older kids said. I figured she would be talking from personal experience of some sort.

Based on the original post I thought that Cyberweasel meant that the girl would simply be cracking sex jokes that she wouldn't even understand, but I can see how people got confused if they take the phrase "seems to have a surprising knowledge of sex for her age" literally. As I read through the thread I adopted that view too. Good thing Cyberweasel cleared that up.

Based on the original post I thought that Cyberweasel meant that the girl would simply be cracking sex jokes that she wouldn't even understand, but I can see how people got confused if they take the phrase "seems to have a surprising knowledge of sex for her age" literally. As I read through the thread I adopted that view too. Good thing Cyberweasel cleared that up.

I guess its because it is a child and a touchy subject for many.

Best to be as clear as possible on those things I suppose XD

My apologies. I definitely I should've clarified. And I probably should have picked up on the misunderstanding sooner. I should've clarified it was a knowledge of the subject, not an understanding of the subject. Because... as has been said, that'd be unsettling, to say the last...

In mod developments, there's actually data unused in the game files for ghoulified children. I'm thinking maybe the Courier finds Rocket somewhere in the wasteland where an explosives expert could find work, like Sloan and Quarry Junction, having left Nellis after a Fat Man accident left her a ghoul. I mean, the Boomers are about the only NPCs in the game who use Fat Mans. If there's one thing I rarely see and wish there was more of, it's female ghoul companions. And this would allow the Courier to recruit her earlier than if she was recruited at Nellis at the end of Volare. Assuming the player takes the hints from the people at Goodsprings, they'll be heading to New Vegas through Sloan and Quarry Junction after completing Boulder City.

Oh, and I like the idea of her being able to blow open containers. Might be a bit tricky to implement for a companion, but it'd certainly make her unique. And developing explosives was something I had in mind early on, but I was thinking just Powder Charges, Time Bombs, and Bottlecap Mines. Maybe add-ons for the Fire Bombs and Gas Bombs of Honest Hearts and Dead Money. But perhaps she could craft explosive ammunition and regular mines and grenades with the right materials.

I've got an idea for a real name thought. There's a lot of people of Chinese descent in the Fallout series, but the only Japanese person I can think of is Doctor Usanagi. So I looked into some meanings of Japanese words, and I'm thinking... Hanabi Shiranui. Hanabi is "fireworks", while shiranui is... something about a bright glow, I think. I dunno, I don't know the language. "Rocket" can probably be what she calls herself now that she's a ghoul. It seems they tend to change their name anyway, like Snowflake in Underworld. I doubt his real name was Snowflake.