Style Balance Discussion

SansSword

Just read a post/poll here asking users what class and character they would be playing first in Skyrim. The responses weren't surprising; quite typical actually.

But that got me thinking. As we all know, TES games are heavily melee-oriented. Just try playing a pure magic caster without ever taking out a melee weapon (wizard staffs don't count, not melee anyway). Next to impossible, especially in Morrowind (Oblivion is a bit more forgiving but still very unsuited to pure magic).

So, I am hoping and praying Bethesda is seriously revamping its class balance for the upcoming game. For example, take your run-of-the-mill dungeon. Playtest said dungeon as a melee class. No problem, right? Next playtest said dungeon as pure magic class. Should be an entirely different experience, or hopefully. I am hoping, for the first time, different classes will give a reasonably different experience throughout the game, that players choosing to play as a pure caster can still have a successful, enjoyable, and DOABLE playthrough of the game as any of your 1 bajillion meleers (the vast majority, I'm sure, myself included).

Pure casters have been so ignored for so long now. The dual-casting system is a step in the right direction, along with multiple-use spells. I like all that. But show me a playthrough where someone never takes out a weapon, or shouldn't need to.

Now that will impress me. But can it be done? Will Bethesda even make that an option? Or will Skyrim still be preferential to the almighty swordplay?

TL:DR--I hope pure casters are a VIABLE option in Skyrim

I disagree with the premise that pure casters are a waste of time. My most powerful character was a Breton Mage. Bretons get 50 points to magicka. I used the star sign that adds more points, sorry I have forgotten the sign name. She had all the magic categories. SShe was powerful at a low level 10 or 12 that the game got boring even when played on difficult so I used the console to decrease some of her skills. With a few good destructive spells, healing, potions and whatever spelled items you can pick up you can beat the game. This was in Oblivion the more forgiving game. :)

I never tried a pure mage in Morrowind. So I can't address that but Oblivion, yes, a pure mage is possible.

I agree with Nakia, I always play pure mages in TES games and I can tell you it's very easy to survive as a pure mage, especially one you raise your skills up some.The problem is, you can't just keep casting fireballs and healing spells, you have to use debuff spells and summons to keep the enemy distracted while you deal damage to them.Trust me, it was much easier to go through the game as a pure magic character than a pure stealth character.I have noticed however that it gets easier and easier to be a mage with each TES game.It was pretty difficult in Morrowind, and nearly impossible in Arena and Daggerfall.Oblivion however, was easier all-around than Morrowind, thanks to it's incredibly lame level-scaling which prevented you from finding enemies that were way above your level.I'm hoping Skyrim is more difficult than Oblivion.

I actually feel opposite to the way the OP does. I find playing a pure melee character much more difficult than a stealth or magic character. I started a new melee character just a few days ago, but I'm switching back to a mage because I find the playstyle easier and much more varied. Of course, my real preference is for a character that can perform all three roles; much harder to get bored that way. ^_^

Being a pure mage in Morrowind was hard but you could do it, the point was using alchemy without over using alchemy, that was overpowerful and tempting, also enchanting items was a nice way to obtain firepower.

In Oblivion it was also hard at the start, but with a nice combo of spells most enemies would fall quite fast, also with high levels of misticism some of the most powerful foes where just cheap.

In Skyrim, with powerful spells and the dragon shouts i dont see too much problem to have a pure mage character, there also seems to be more defensive spells.

The ones i fear wont be as god in skyrim are the stealth characters... both mages and warriors could have a great bonus using the dragon shouts, but the idea of a thief shouting is somehow extrange.

well with the confirmation that bows do bigger damage then in oblivion , i imagine sneak attack doing some overthetop damage. Then i dont really care for stealth i always prefered either magic approach or straight powerful warrior approach. @shijnn hmmm im preety sure nord warrior in oblivion could easily overpower anything in the game, i remember i easily killed 3 xivilai and 3 dremora markynaz all by myself, only weakness for melee characters would be magic, that's if you don't have some nice magic resistance. so in general pure warrior is still the strongest choice.

I disagree with jancina, I remember playing through the game as a level 40+ Breton mage with the difficulty turned all the way up.This was without any mods or cheats, unless you consider the paralyze staff cheating.The only thing I really had to fear were mountains lions who could easily tear apart my weak Breton body. Edited by Corakus

That still doesn't mean you would beat my nord with your breton :P

Not to sound rude, but that comment is completely pointless since it is impossible to test that theory.

Edited by Corakus