Need some help!!

Ok, so before anyone gets upset and tells me to go look in the reinstalling problems thread, I already looked there and the solution was no where to be found. I recently decided I no longer wanted to play oblivion with a particular over haul mod I was using, OWC-ND. Instead of tediously going through every file and trying to delete all the new meshes textures sounds and what not added by the massive project, I decided to just delete my data folder and replace it with the original I had saved elsewhere. Well upon doing that, even with none of my mods active my oblivion crashed on startup, it made it to the loading screen and then ctd'd. So far i've uninstalled and reinstalled about six times to no avail. I've deleted every thing I can find on any area of my computer that has the word oblivion in it and reinstalled afterwards, but still no luck. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong? I mean, my rig isn't great but i've never had this kind of problem with oblivion before.

I know where your coming from, I've had near enough the same thing happen to me. I did these two things that seemed to fix it.

1) May be that key files missing for mods in the original data folder you backed up. Never trust copy and pasting a single large folder, sometimes the computer may miss files when they are being re-written so its better to use a compression tool for for a giant folder.

2) Don't try to use your backed-up /data folder, see what happens when Oblivion uses its own vanilla files just in case something in your backed up folder is clashing with the new oblivion.ini. Sometimes I get crashes like that when I have deleted my folders and replaced them unaware that the crashes were being caused because the contents were for the user interface,HUD or changed my ini.

Hmm try using this then;

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html (Kills off a lot of useless, memory hogging processes and services. I used to get a crash because of a network service that this program knocked off )

And this mod:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22282 (stopped so many crashes)

Hopefully these will work for you :D

Hi Percy,

Oblivion can still leave a fair bit of junk around in the registry and suchlike, so you really ought to use Bben46's uninstall and reinstall procedure. If that doesn't fix the problem, you've got something fairly fundamentally screwy someplace.

If you use Vista or Win7, PLEASE install it to c:\Games\Oblivion instead of the default - it saves so many problems later.

If it's as bad as it appears, also try uninstalling / clearing / reinstalling Wrye Bash and OBMM, as they may have a config file which is re-introducing a fault for you.

Out of curiosity is the initial install of oblivion supposed to come with meshes and textures? Mine doesn't and i'm a little curious about it honestly. But so far none of those things have worked...it's getting a bit infuriating.

Edit didn't see that response about the ini when I posted this. To answer that, I don't have a documents and settings folder that I can find. I've searched all over my drives and don't seem to have one at all...

Edited by Percymazing2

The default textures and meshes are packed in .bsa files. Mods are installed elsewhere, and bsa invalidation is used to tell the game to check someplace else before using the .bsa file ones.

Going back to your main problem - which copy of Oblivion do you have (disk install / steam install / D2D / Impules / Other (pleas specify))? Does it include Shivering Isles? Have you applied the Official Patch?

Edited by MarkInMKUK

I'm using an ISO because none of my local gaming stores have a copy of oblivion for pc. I have installed the latest patch.

Sorry about your luck Percy. But stealing is stealing no matter how you try to justify it. No help for pirates here.

Banned for piracy

Bben46, Moderator