Developments and Modding Team for ATDungeonKeeper

kingtitan

@kingtitan Have you examined "Fort Carcernus" by SurfingApe? It has scripted spells for moving prisoners, but it's more of a teleportation effect than a "go to."

I'm no scripter, but the script suggested earlier containing the command "resurrect 1" seems promising. It causes a corpse to just stand back up as a living NPC without a time limit, with no changes to location or inventory, though I can only guess that it would reset the AI and remove the entity from the Prisoner faction. It seems logical that the command could be made into a spell effect and attached to the Staff of Eternal Pain; however, I have no clue as to how one might go about this.

I must voice my approval on your current work with "The Bowels." At first, I was a bit irritated with the level of darkness, but as I explored the area, I discovered that the lack of light made quite the fitting atmosphere. By all accounts, well done.

Concerning the prisoners' propensity to die much too quickly... perhaps one could attach a Fortify Health effect to the Prisoner faction or some such, but I suspect that this may be too ham fisted in the long run. As for the torture devices, such as the chair, "flame cage," the buttons next to that top level cell, etc., I suggest lowering the damage inflected, except for buttons and levers marked "kill." I don't know how you could lower the damage inflicted by the lava cage, unless you lowered the damage of all lava, which may or may not be a wise choice. I wholeheartedly endorse the earlier suggestion of a water cage for drowning, but can NPC's actually drown? If not, I suspect that further scripting would be in order.

As for general suggestions, could there be a way to "mark" prisoners to be attacked by the guards, perhaps as another spell effect? At present, the guards seem to be little more than decoration.

I suspect that torture could be made a bit more interactive and interesting, such as coercing prisoners to give confessions, information, the location of valuables, etc. Perhaps they would need occasional healing, if their bodies would break before their minds. Speaking of breaking minds, perhaps some prisoners could become insane and/or feral due to their plight.

I suspect that this is too much information already, so I will reserve any further ideas for a future time.

For the record, I'm not twisting your arm about anything. You said you could use ideas, but I'm just glad that the mod has, at last, been reborn.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll put it this way.... If you haven't played the mod, please don't make assumptions as to what it is about. I'm sorry if thats rude, but its still true nonetheless. However, @uberman, Don't lose all hope just yet :)) I have some ideas for quests that might involve similar ideas :) I really want to have a "defend the prison" type quest sometime in the future.

Thank you for that first statement.

As for "defending the prison," wow. There's so much possibility there. Is the Legion cracking down on violent crime? Is the Dark Brotherhood offing the competition? Is the Twin Lamps coming to rescue the oppressed? Is the Thieves' Guild springing its members? You could go anywhere with that idea.

As an aside, I have a rather strange suggestion. I don't really expect this to be implemented, because it makes NO sense whatsoever, but I am compelled to say it nonetheless. Maybe... just maybe... House Telvanni has something to do with the new administration of Carcernus.

Sorry about that "suggestion." I just have a soft spot for those sorcerous, paranoid, backstabbing, brutal slavemasters.

EDIT: It never fails. 5 minutes after I post, a great idea hits me. Such is the price of genius, I suppose.

You mentioned something about "recommended third party mods." I know of something perfect for this project, even if it serves no practical purpose. "Chain It!" is a pose pack that utilizes... well, chains. Chain NPC's to the wall. Chain them to the floor. Chain them to a chair. As I said, there's nothing practical here, but it's perfect for this mod's atmosphere. Maybe one could get more use out of it if it were somehow expanded and incorporated into the mod. If it isn't on the Nexus, let me know, and I can upload it somewhere.

EDIT: I believe you stated in the OP that you have added exterior guards, but I have yet to see any. On an unrelated note... kudos.

Edited by Deimos1313

I Concur, the Chain It pose pack has the right kind of poses for this dungeon. But besides Chain It there is also a Dungeon Pose pack and the Chain Beasts mod. Not that you have to add these mods, but they may contain some usefull resources.

You told me you mainly want Ideas for the Halls of the Death and Halls of Water so I'll concentrate my ideas on those two chambers.

Halls of Water:

1) Drown cages (as I suggested before)

2) Water cells (cages that act as prison cells but are actually almost entirely underwater, forcing the prisoner to keep swimming and not being able to sleep, unless it wants to drown)

3) Improve the Electro Shock Pool (The Electro Pool, or whatever it's name is, instantly kills the prisoners. Of course it should be torturing them so it might be best to lower the shock damage)

4) Improve the Slaughter Fish Pool (there should be a platform that slowly goes down in the water and eventually give the Slaughter Fish a change to devour the prisoner, I believe platforms like this are already in the game)

5) Storing bodies as trophies (We all know the room with the four dead bodies that are obviously stored there, it might be cool to being able to store the bodies of everyone who's soul was drained (with the soul shard thingy))

6) Reanimates (The same room I mentioned above also has a small altar in the back, maybe it could be used to reanimate the bodies and create them into Reanimates, they still have the same body but are obedient and slaves)

7) Improve main room (The main room is pretty boring at the moment, You convert it into a room of humiliation. If you decide to implement poses you could force prisoners in humiliating positions and have guards laugh at them)

Halls of the Death:

1) Improve the zombies (Instead of changing the prisoners into an actual zombie npc you could, if possible, let the prisoners keep their original body but let them movie like zombies. I believe this could be done by adding

a zombie move animation on the prisoner, or use a zombie npc but replacer the texture with that of the prisoners body)

2) Shrink ritual (A ritual that shrinks the prisoners and puts it into a very small cage)

3) Feeding the zombies (a way let the zombies attack a prisoners, thus devouring her/him)

Obviously the Halls of the Death needs more features, but I can't think of anything right now. I must say, finding cool features for the Halls of the Dead is hard.

Again, this is only to give you more ideas. I don't want to force anything :)

Edited by windu190

1) Drown cages (as I suggested before)

2) Water cells (cages that act as prison cells but are actually almost entirely underwater, forcing the prisoner to keep swimming and not being able to sleep, unless it wants to drown)

Can NPC's actually drown? I'm not certain, but it seems like something that might only apply to the PC.

Hey guys, I just wanted to let yall know I won't be able to reply to everything. Unfortunately, it is hard for me to find time to work on this mod consistently although I am still dedicated to its completion. I am still listening to ideas (which most are really good by the way) so if you come up with anything please post it. I am going to try to check up on this thread whenever I can, just don't think I have abandoned it!!

P.S.- to whoever put the thing about the exterior guards, they are basically next on my to do list. But my main priority now is to add the third level to the fort (which unfortunately is no small task. After that is completed, I plan on putting in guards.

Oh and p.s.s.- chain it and dungeon poses were already on my list :) but i'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought of them!

I'll put it this way.... If you haven't played the mod, please don't make assumptions as to what it is about.

So I take this as a declaration that there is not really much torture in the mod, and if there does happen to be some that somehow slipped in, it is not very noticeable and important, and that its inclusion is not why people play the mod.

I'll put it this way.... If you haven't played the mod, please don't make assumptions as to what it is about.

So I take this as a declaration that there is not really much torture in the mod, and if there does happen to be some that somehow slipped in, it is not very noticeable and important, and that its inclusion is not why people play the mod.

Try it out and see for yourself :) I mean, frankly it is a mod of personal preference. One of the reasons I "resurrected" it was to build it up even further than where AlexTed had built it to. Also, the amount of "torture" in the mod is irrelevant to the fact that you are still judging it before you play it, as it is the same as "judging a book by its cover." Just like scientists formulate conclusions based on tested variables and scenarios, a critic should look at all aspects of a mod (including playing it to test it out) before they come up with their own opinions. Simply put, you have no way of definitively knowing "that there is not really much torture in the mod" if you have never played it.

I also kindly ask (EDIT: to anyone and everyone) that if you have no interest in the mod or helping in its future development that you not inflame its contents with irrelevant material.

Edited by kingtitan

This isn't a mod about fluffy bunnies.