ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Protection from radiation in settlement buildings!

Lehcar

And while we are on the subject, of building and inside...

slightly off topic :wink:

Why does it always rain in side a building now it can be a prefab, player built structure, or on occasion in side a main structure?.

Answers on a self addressed post card please... :ermm:

lolz.

• 5 months later...

Gamma radiation can travel across the entire galaxy, through the atmosphere, and through a mile of wood. A galvanized metal wall isn't going to do dick

​However, a couple meters of concrete can stop it. I'm not sure how much concrete it takes but I know it can. Or at least, I have heard it can.

Gamma radiation is the least of your concerns, I think. I suppose there is a somewhat heightened background radiation in Fallout, but you can't do anything about that anyway. Since gamma passes through pretty much everything, it is also the least damaging of the 3 types.

Realistically, the most dangerous part would be to inhale or ingest something which emits alpha or beta radiation. Also, actual fallout is supposed to be actual particles of nuclear material, which contaminate your food, water and air, so I'd say you'll primarily want protection from that. I suppose radstorms work in such a way that the wind picks up radioactive dust in the glowing sea, and either just blows them around you or it actually gets into the rainclouds and then you have radioactive rain.

From that, a house with intact roof and walls should be able to protect you. The Pulowski cylinders too. But the question is: what could actually be done with the F4 engine? Maybe just a check whenever there is any object between the player's head and the sky? You could at least hide under roofs then. Or, something which makes no sense whatsoever but might be simpler: a device which you build in your settlement, which then prevents you from taking rad damage during radstorms within a certain radius. Or, worst idea, maybe a "radstorm detector" object, which you could use in conjunction with these firework launchers to automatically fire a "clear weather" shell if a storm starts.

• 2 months later...

Realism and actual science of rad storms aside, something allowing you to shelter in structures would be fantastic. It would allow people to play with harsher rad storms without making them unavoidably disruptive.

Blowout soon, Stalker.

(Some sort of pre-storm weather would help, or a HUD warning of approaching storms)

Had a small idea. Could radiation protection be attached to a build ceiling, like rain stops? Rain can come through from the sides if you just have a roof, but if you have walls it won't.

I think rain MIGHT be an overlay / screen effect, rather than anything physical.

Having said that, it does provide an idea for making buildings shelter from radiation - extend a zone downwards of roof / floor objects which protects the player from (some?) radiation.

Although a potential side effect might be that some areas that should be irradiated are not (e.g the cabins in the glowing sea, although it would be nice if that bunker full of beds stopped the radiation enough to sleep).

Edited by Athanasa

• 4 years later...

For a radiation-free zone item, why not give those Pulowski Preservation Shelters the ability to function for their intended purpose? Was quite disappointed the first time a Radstorm rolled in, and I tried to seal myself up inside one and wait it out only to realize that they weren't actually radiation-proof. It would make a little more sense, too. Four junk walls and a corrugated roof isn't exactly a radiation shield, but a cylinder that is explicitly designed to offer protection against it should actually perform as advertised.

This assumes they actually function as advertised. You find a lot of dead people and ghouls in them. :laugh:

Yes, which I suppose is the in-universe explanation for why they don't even provide rad resistance to someone standing inside them. The out-of-universe explanation is laziness on Bethesda's part. Nonetheless, it seems like a bit of wasted potential to have them everywhere and not have them actually provide you resistance against radstorms.

actually ingame lore states that the Pulowski Preservation shelters were a scam preying on the nuclear war scare. and while they were in fact rad proof they were designed with people believing that the radiation only lasted a few hours and were not stocked with any provisions so the occupants would die of starvation/dehydration long before the radiation disapated

Hello. if you are not at survival mode, you can open the console ¬

and type

fw 15e

hit enter and exit the console.

Also you can make a txt file, have this console command and then, you can open the console and type

bat clear

if the name of the txt file is clear

That's all. i hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of radiation cleaning mods - also sim settlements. It always annoyed me because the immersion is broken - it's two hundred years that people have had to deal with the radiation so they would know how to build around it, or live in caves at least.

They have water purifying systems, so they would have air filters as well. Set up one of those over the entrance and you would be ok.

Or people would be building around the vaults, and rushing inside during a storm.