Pluggy question

fg109

I can't figure out how to use this function. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or maybe it just doesn't work the way I think it does. This is an attempt of me using it:

scn testscript

string_var string1
ref tempref

Begin GameMode

let string1 := "Gold001"
set tempref to StringToRef string1
messageex "%n" tempref
Player.AddItem tempref 1

End

When I tested it in the game, I got "<no name>" from the messageex command, and no gold increase either.

Edited by fg109

I can't figure out how to use this function. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or maybe it just doesn't work the way I think it does. This is an attempt of me using it:

scn testscript

string_var string1
ref tempref

Begin GameMode

let string1 := "Gold001"
set tempref to StringToRef string1
messageex "%n" tempref
Player.AddItem tempref 1

End

When I tested it in the game, I got "<no name>" from the messageex command, and no gold increase either.

May want to try the following:

set tempref to StringToRef $string1

given that:

As of OBSE v0017, string variables can be passed to any command expecting a string literal as an argument by prefacing the name of the variable with a dollar sign. This deprecates many of the Set...EX commands. The variable must be local to the calling script and its name must immediately follow the dollar sign.

StringToRef converts a Pluggy string to a ref var.

You will need the $, as Astymma said, to load an OBSE string into a Pluggy string and, then, into a ref.

Something like:

String_var sFormID
Long psFormID
Ref MyRef
set psFormID to CreateString -1 0  1 1	
setString psFormID  $sFormID			
set MyRef to Stringtoref psFormID

If you know the mod where the FormId came from, you can use OBSE's:

let MyRef := GetFormFromMod "Oblivion.esm" $sFormID

BUT . . . , in both cases, sFormID must be in the form of a 8-digit hex number, like "0000000F" for Gold001.

If you are trying to convert a generic EditorID (strings loaded with generic contents like "Gold001" or "Apple") to a ref, there is no functions to do it, because the game engine does not save these EditorIds. They are only good at CS time.

Thanks to both of you for answering my question.

@QQuix

I tried what you put in your post and it worked great. But unfortunately I guess what I wanted was impossible. As you said, I wanted to be able to convert generic editor IDs to a string so I could do something like:

set tempshort to GetRandomPercent
let string1 := sv_Construct "GenericNPC%2f" tempshort
set string2 to CreateString -1 0 1 1
SetString string2 $string1
set tempref to StringToRef string2

so it would be easier to randomize things instead of having to set everything to an array first.