Climate Change

marharth

^ This.

Do I deny our climate is changing (if only ever so slightly)? No.

Do I disagree with what some people are telling us about it? Yes. (Am I entitled to disagree? Yes.)

Do I believe that the World Will End Tomorrow if we don't do something about it now? No.

Do I believe that mankind as a whole would be far better served if it got off its collective backside and looked at ways to colonise the Moon and Mars, that we might survive as a species once the Earth's resources are consumed/exhausted? Hell, Yes!

Totally with you--we need to find somewhere else to put all the extra people. It would be a much, much better idea to research terraforming than weapons, and it would also make sense if we got it into our heads that nothing can grow infinitely, not even intangible things like the economy. We waste things and don't bloody bother to fix our messes. We're horrible to each other. It's just depressing.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, BTW. It looks like the world might be starting to get colder, a much worse scenario than it getting hotter. Shockingly enough it has to do with the sun, not humans and there is nothing we can do about it.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-06/hibernating-sun-during-next-solar-cycle-could-chill-earth-new-forecast-predicts

It is much worse for the earth to get hotter, its easier to produce mass heat then it is to produce mass err... Cold?

But if it does have to do with the sun it is much worse for the earth to get colder, only if it has everything to do with the sun.

When the world cools we loose arable land If the earth warms we will gain arable land. Not to mention the number of people that die from exposure to cold is much larger than that of heat.

If its in small quantities it won't really matter much either way.

If the earth heated up by 70 degrees, there would be more problems then if it cooled down 70 degrees.

I was talking more of long term effects, short term it would be better if the earth heated up.

'If the earth heated up by 70 degrees, there would be more problems then if it cooled down 70 degrees"

A ten degree global temperature change has produced an extinction event in the past.

'If the earth heated up by 70 degrees, there would be more problems then if it cooled down 70 degrees"

A ten degree global temperature change has produced an extinction event in the past.

Yea 70 degrees was a bit too much for my example.

Not only that, but even a one degree change can have dire consequences, based on the Earth's current condition that is. A one degree heat up today will no doubt cause the ice to retreat even more, ocean levels to rise again, and more severe tropical weather. A one degree cooldown today will benefit us if it doesn't harm the tropical rainforests and other fragile biomes in the process.

Edited by Keanumoreira

Not only that, but even a one degree change can have dire consequences, based on the Earth's current condition that is. A one degree heat up today will no doubt cause the ice to retreat even more, ocean levels to rise again, and more severe tropical weather. A one degree cooldown today will benefit us if it doesn't harm the tropical rainforests and other fragile biomes in the process.

The temperatures wasn't really what I was talking about, my argument is that a colder planet would be better in the long term.

The temperatures wasn't really what I was talking about, my argument is that a colder planet would be better in the long term.

Does the Ice age (glacial age) ring a bell? I would have thought that at least paleontology or geologic history was worth staying awake for.

Never heard of the Holocene climatic optimum I guess.

Never heard of the Holocene climatic optimum I guess.

Not nearly comparable to the ice age.

Was the ice age bad? Yes.

If the temperatures was the same in heat and it was in cold during the ice age, which would be worse?