Battlefield 3 Boycott is picking up steam

Thelionheart

These boycotts never happen or work. Anyone remember when they announced Modern Warfare wouldn't have dedicated server or modding support for the PC? The PC gaming community went livid (more livid than this pre-order rubbish) and demanded a boycott. The game then went on to be the highest selling game of all time on all platforms.

Video game boycotts don't work.

Apparently EA wanted to do something similar with the first Bad Company game, and after a boucott they changed their tune, so I dunno.

that video stopped the bad company DLC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These boycotts never happen or work. Anyone remember when they announced Modern Warfare wouldn't have dedicated server or modding support for the PC? The PC gaming community went livid (more livid than this pre-order rubbish) and demanded a boycott. The game then went on to be the highest selling game of all time on all platforms.

Video game boycotts don't work.

Apparently EA wanted to do something similar with the first Bad Company game, and after a boucott they changed their tune, so I dunno.

@halororor You are indeed correct. Heres the news article for it.

It worked with the new Deus Ex also. Link!

@Dark0one

The Modern Warfare boycott did not work in my opinion partly because of the nature of the fanbase. This statement I am about to make is somewhat of a generalization but I find it to be somewhat accurate. The fanbase seems to be too caught up with the whole concept of "I'm better than you, NO I'M BETTER THAN YOU!" And that in my opinion divides the fanbase and makes it harder for them to band together in a cohesive manner. Factor that in with the man running show, the CEO Bobby Kottick, and you have a very..VERY hard goal to accomplish. These two problems, in my opinion are mitigated or completely disowned since Battlefield is owned by a different company, the community is more united, and the lack of an... iron fisted ruler.

Edited by Thelionheart

I'm slightly baffled by EAs behaviour here, they are obviously desperate to compete with Call of Duty and yet pull stunts like this. You don't take on a competitor by making your product worse value than theirs, not even Bobby Kotick has dreamt up a dick move like this.

@jim_uk It didn't resize your iPad's screenshot either, so yeah... :P

Au contraire http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7697/photo1eh.jpg :tongue:

@Imiona Thanks.

Dark0ne's right though, since when boycots ever worked? I'm sure DICE would change their minds later if they want to but I wouldn't say that it was EA's idea, DICE needs some blame here also.

Dark0ne's right though, since when boycots ever worked? I'm sure DICE would change their minds later if they want to but I wouldn't say that it was EA's idea, DICE needs some blame here also.

The full name of the company is EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment, they are part of EA so EA are responsible.

I would say that DICE devs are responsible rather than EA, besides do we really know what's going on behind the scenes?

DICE devs are employed by EA, EA and DICE are the same company.

I would say that DICE devs are responsible rather than EA, besides do we really know what's going on behind the scenes?

DICE devs are employed by EA, EA and DICE are the same company.

Again, re-read it. Especially the bolded bit.

DICE does not decide this. the EA marketing department most likely has the highest say in this matter. DICE does not have a huge amount of say at all. To put this into an analogy say that DICE is the group of slaves that are building a road. Their taskmasters (EA) wish for them to make two roads instead of one. One road is for the rich and merchants who need to travel quickly and are important (pre-orderers) the other for the common man, which is uneven and is not very well maintained. I would bet that the slaves would rather build one road instead of two since it is less work (work=passion the road DICE would build would be the better one, but not all allegories fit perfectly). The taskmasters however need that other road since their bosses told them to do it, and if they want to keep their jobs then they tell the slaves to do their.

With BF3 being the only reasonable competition to MW3, a boycott (not that I expect it to work) is the last thing we need.

But yeah, store specific pre-order bonuses are s***.

Edited by Povuholo