Please help! Crash at title page

vorrec

Hi guys, I've been having a rather bothersome problem that I can't fix. Every time I try to kickstart Oblivion, whether it be through the main icon, wine, or cider, I get different portrayals of what seems to be the same error. If I use the main icon and skip the first Bethesda video, the parchment-like loading screen comes up, the bar loads, the screen fades to black, and the game crashes, giving me this: "Exception Raised: Unimplemented function devenum.DllGetClassObject called at address 0x7945b081. Do you wish to debug it ?" If I click no, Oblivion sends me to the desktop. If I click yes, the screen blackout lasts longer but concludes with the same results. If I don't interrupt the video, the game crashes even before the load screen. If I click Oblivion.exe through Wine, it won't even let me open it. If I click Cider, it provides me with fixit entries after this entry: "Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x498749. Do you wish to debug it?" Oblivion Launcher won't let me select anything aside from the link to the website either.

I use a Mac OS X Version 10.6.7, with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics card. When I opened Oblivion fresh from installation, it worked perfectly. I downloaded only a few mods (that worked), and got to Robert's male body replacer, which worked also. I then dragged in meshes and textures for its patch, and it stopped working the next time I opened Oblivion. The disc came with Cider. I downloaded Wine 1.2.2 to open the .exe directly, which didn't work either. I replaced my data file with a backup. didn't work. Kept the modified data file and disabled mods one by one in plugins.txt. Didn't work. Disabled everything except Oblivion.esm. Didn't work. Reinstalled. Still the same. The closest I got was disabling the .nifs and .mp3s on the title screen in Oblivion.ini. I can actually get to the title menu for about two seconds before it crashes now. My copy of Oblivion is the Game of the Year version. Does that have to do with anything?

Please help. I'm losing brain cells fast over here. Thank you!

I've done that already. It still refuses to start... = (

I'm gonna try reinstalling again. I didn't replace the preferences folder the last time. But it hasn't worked since before I reinstalled, so...not hopeful, much.

Edited by vorrec

How much free disk space do you have? Might be easier to use boot camp, and have an XP install on there as well, to run windows games.

My drive has over 350 GB of space. How would I go about installing XP on my computer? I'm hoping there are other options, but I've googled this error and there don't seem to be many instances of it...I wonder if it's a problem with Wine, the base game, or the fact that it is GOTY...

Game of the year version should be fine - that's the latest release once you install Shivering Isles (from disk 2). Make sure the update patch you use is the SI patch, NOT the Oblivion UK or US patch.

You may find that it's a problem with paths and pathname handling. Mods using OBSE might cause more problems, as I have no idea how OBSE would run on a Mac - not my field of expertise. I suspect that the usual fixes using Wrye Bash to help mods "play nice" would be a whole additional can of worms.

Thanks for replying guys. I haven't tried using OBSE mods yet, since it's been pretty much established that OBSE doesn't work on Macs. (Still going to try it through Wine). I used the unofficial Oblivion patch, but the data doesn't seem to be the problem as it happened before I did it. Also, I've tried deactivating all my mods on Plugin.txt and using a backup copy of the data folder, leaving only the vanilla Oblivion.esm to run, but it still doesn't work, so it's not a problem with the mods. If it's a problem with paths, I'll re-install and replace the contents of the data folder and plugins.txt instead of the entire folders this time. I don't want to resort to downloading Windows on my computer...

• 2 months later...

Problem solved = )

It was a pathway problem, like you said. I jsut had to be careful not to replace the entire folder, just the contents of Data.

Thanks a lot to MartinInMKUK and HeyYou!

I am having this exact problem now and I've read through this thread and I did as much as i could and it still doesn't work... I even installed the entire game over again... i replaced the Data folder with the back-up one i never messed with and it doesn't work... I'm not sure what you mean by "paths", I'm new to this. how did you fix it?

I think the OP means that something was looking for data in a specific place, and because the Mac folder structure is different it wasn't finding it. However, as I'm not a Mac user, I can't really help more. Maybe message the OP and ask for clarification?