ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Mod authors, ask me your firearm related questions!

Cybersoldier8

Hello all, recently I've been seeing a lot of gun mods for Fallout 4 out there that attempt to be realistic, but ultimately fall short because the mod authors lack any real world experience with the weapon system they are trying to emulate. I want to see the Fallout 4 mod community be as strong as possible, so I'd like to help clear up any question anyone might have. From basic questions about how they are loaded, to complicated stuff like physics and terminal ballistics, I'll answer just about any question you have.

Of course, no one is perfect, and I'm not different. I don't know everything about guns, but I do consider myself an expert, especially in modern firearms. I currently own six different firearms, and I have experience shooting many, many more. If I don't know an objective answer to your question, I won't just come up with a fake answer to stroke my internet ego. I'm willing to admit I don't know something. Here is a non-exhaustive list of some of the weapon systems I am familiar with:

• AR-15/ M-16 series Rifles (I own AR-15 that I built myself)
  • Savage Axis/10/11/110/111 (I own an Axis in .308 Winchester)
  • Mossberg 500 (I own a Mossberg 500AT)
  • Marlin 795 (I own this one too)
  • Savage Mark II (I own moderately customized Mark II FV-SR)
  • Mosin Nagant (I own a 1949 Izhevsk M91/30)
  • AK-47
  • FAL
  • Most Glock Models
  • FN SCAR
  • FNS/FNX
  • Remmington 700
  • Remmington 870
  • Ithaca Model 37
  • Springfield XD
  • Beretta 92
  • Barret M82 (Yes, I have actually shot this)
  • Marlin 1894
  • Ruger 10/22
  • Ruger Mark II
  • Kriss Vector
  • FN PS90
  • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c

These aren't in any particular order, other than the order they popped into my head.I have fired all of these, and many, many more. It gets kinda hard to keep track. You'd be surprised how charitable random strangers at the gun range can be, offering to let you shoot their guns. Not to mention, just about every relative I have is also a gun owner, and frequently lets me sample their stock when we are at the range. And of course,a new indoor range just opened near me, and they have all kinds of goodies to rent.

So please, don't be shy, ask away. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. I can't guarantee how long it will take to get you a response, but I promise I will respond to every question asked.

Bookmarking this in case I decide to remake some mods I was working on back in NV, though they were mostly obscure very high caliber weapons. Really good idea.

What kinds of stuff specifically? Obscure and very high caliber makes my mind jump straight to something like a Hotchkiss mountain gun, but somebody would have to be insane to modify one of those as a shoulder fire. Then again, this is the game where people run around in giant mechanical suits and carry full sized naval cannons.

One was a .950 JDJ rifle - definitely ludicrous (not quite Hotchkiss level, but still, it was specifically designed as a range rifle, don't even think it has proper grips for shoulder fire), back in NV I had placed a range of scripts and effects on it to cause damage to the player on use if certain checks weren't met, but I could've done with more info on the actual effects, as well as whatever other info really, I wanted to try to make it as accurate as I could for something that ridiculous.

The other was the Thunder .50BMG handgun. I saw it while doing some reading for the above and thought it looked fantastic, really well suited to New Vegas. Was kinda curious about the general workings of it, recoil, etc. Sadly, I lost both models and everything else associated with them in a HDD crash.

Sorry it's vague - you can probably tell I'm not a gun guy, really I just wanted any information I could get, and there's not much out there for either.

One was a .950 JDJ rifle - definitely ludicrous (not quite Hotchkiss level, but still, it was specifically designed as a range rifle, don't even think it has proper grips for shoulder fire), back in NV I had placed a range of scripts and effects on it to cause damage to the player on use if certain checks weren't met, but I could've done with more info on the actual effects, as well as whatever other info really, I wanted to try to make it as accurate as I could for something that ridiculous.

The other was the Thunder .50BMG handgun. I saw it while doing some reading for the above and thought it looked fantastic, really well suited to New Vegas. Was kinda curious about the general workings of it, recoil, etc. Sadly, I lost both models and everything else associated with them in a HDD crash.

Sorry it's vague - you can probably tell I'm not a gun guy, really I just wanted any information I could get, and there's not much out there for either.

Ah, yes, I'm familiar with both of them, although only from youtube videos. I've never had an opportunity to fire either, I actually think there are only one or two JDJ rifles in existence, and to the best on my knowledge the Thunder .50 was never commercially produced, since the BATF threatened to cut off all civilian sales of surplus .50BMG ammo if it was produced. Still, I could easily enough describe how to load and operate either of them, since they are single shot affairs they are actually extremely simple. There's videos of people shooting them on youtube, so it's pretty easy to get an idea of how hard the recoil is, and ballistic calculators can be used to determine how much energy the cartridge is going to have to determine in game damage.

How come there are so many handguns but so few footguns?

Most people have two perfectly functional hands, so they don't need to use their feet. That said, a foot gun could probably be produced if there was demand for it. This dude has no hands at all, and was still able to modify his guns so he could shoot them.