Oblivion Won't Play

7theavenger

Okay, so I'm having a pretty serious problem.

The game starts up fine, but if I hit Load or Continue, the game freezes up. After awhile, I figured it might be a corrupt save, so I tried New, and that had the same result.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, each time completely deleting the Oblivion files.

I deleted all mods and removed them from the Data Files list.

I am running a completely vanilla version of the game, and after multiple reinstalls, it crashes on Continue, Load, and New.

What's odd is, I used to play Oblivion ALL THE TIME on this same computer. I recently started it back up and found that it failed to play.

Does anyone know why this is happening, or do the Nine simply wish me to stop playing Oblivion?

***EDIT***

Check out my most recent post to see the current status of the problem and what I have tried to do to fix it.

Edited by 7theavenger

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus....icle.php?id=240

It fixes many of the problems encountered with a reinstall. :thumbsup:

Alright, I did everything in that guide. I...

-uninstalled the game

-deleted the oblivion folder

-deleted the game saves (and .ini's)

-cleaned my entire registry with ccleaner and disk cleaner

-ran a full system defrag

-reinstalled to a new directory

And then I ran the game. Got to the menu, and sure enough, clicking New, Load, or Continue (actually Continue wasn't there because I deleted the saves, and there was nothing to Load, but I assume the same thing would happen) but yeah, they made the game freeze again.

I'm not sure if this helps, but the Oblivion music doesn't play at the Main Menu. The Menu still makes sounds when I click on something, but it doesn't play the music. And when it freezes, it doesn't move. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get out.

And I'm sure this doesn't help. When I install the game, I get an error message, but I don't recall what it was. I hit "Ignore," because it did the same thing when I first bought the game. It ran fine on this same computer then, I have no idea what suddenly made it stop working.

Any further ideas, or am I just not supposed to play this game anymore until Skyrim comes out? (By the way, other games do run fine.)

A little more info please:

(1) Operating system version

(2) Source of Oblivion (Game of the Year discs/Steam/Impulse/D2D/whatever)

(3) Oblivion install details (Just Oblivion / Oblivion + Shivering Isles / O+SI+Knights of the Nine) and verions patched to.

(4) DirectX version installed (start/run/Dxdiag - bottom item on first pop-up page should be DirectX version)

Hopefully that'll turn up a clue.

A little more info please:

(1) Operating system version

(2) Source of Oblivion (Game of the Year discs/Steam/Impulse/D2D/whatever)

(3) Oblivion install details (Just Oblivion / Oblivion + Shivering Isles / O+SI+Knights of the Nine) and verions patched to.

(4) DirectX version installed (start/run/Dxdiag - bottom item on first pop-up page should be DirectX version)

Hopefully that'll turn up a clue.

Yeah I got you. Just a reminder, it worked fine on this same computer a few months ago. It stopped working when I wanted to start playing it again, but I don't know why. Now here's the details you wanted.

(1) Windows 7 - Home Premium

(2) Oblivion Game of the Year Discs

(3) Oblivion and Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine at version 1.2.146 I think

(4) DirectX 11

Not sure if this matters, but I would run Oblivion at its maximum graphics settings with minimal lag.

If there's anything missing from that list, let me know, and I'll be sure to clarify. Thanks.

OK - Being an older game, Oblivion doesn't always play nice with DirectX11. Dig on the Microsoft site for the full admin install for DirectX 9.0C, and try installing that. It may even be in a folder on one of the Oblivion discs, but make syre if's the C version. Edited by MarkInMKUK

OK - Being an older game, Oblivion doesn't always play nice with DirectX11. Dig on the Microsoft site for the full admin install for DirectX 9.0C, and try installing that. It may even be in a folder on one of the Oblivion discs, but make syre if's the C version.

I have 9.0c downloaded, I'm just wondering how or if this will effect DirectX11. I'd rather have DirectX11 than be able to play Oblivion. I can wait for Skyrim.I guess what I'm asking is, can I have both DirectX 9.0c and 11 installed at the same time? Will the files conflict? Just let me know what's up.

And I wanted to thank you, this seems like it could be the solution.

Edited by 7theavenger