Oblivion Won't Play

7theavenger

It would seem that you can have more than 1 version of DirectX installed, but since i'm basing this hypothesis on my own personal experience and not actual knowledge i will explain my assumption.

Note; i also use Win7 Home Premium.

I had been running Oblivion with DX10 with no problems, but OBGE Liquid Water required the latest version of DX9 (and didn't work with DX10, i tried). The mod looked really promising, so i "upgraded" to DX9. I won't go into details, but while the mod worked now, it just wasn't for me so i uninstalled it. I had assumed that i was now ONLY running DX9, but a quick check of my system properties showed my version of DirectX to be 10. After reading this post, i did a program search for DirectX to find the setup exe and opened it's file location to see what else was there. seems that i have 9, 10, and 11 installed, but 11 is not supported by my lame Intel HD Graphics chipset (the reason properties shows my version as being 10).

I guess that you could take another point from this also; if you never actually deleted your old version, you still have the one that ran Oblivion well, so your problem might lie elswhere. I would consider the following:

Drivers - Newer games you may have been playing may have installed driver updates that Oblivion can not recognize.

The Registry - I know you ran CCleaner, but for me i have to run it 5 or 6 times to catch all of Oblivion's entries. I mentioned this to bben and he tried it on 4 seperate installs and it worked the first time, every time, for him. I have done 3 reinstalls since then and it still takes 4 - 6 for me, following directions to the letter. I certainly don't want to knock CCleaner, it does what it says it does, and it's free, but different people can have different results.

There are people on this site who could probably find your issue pretty quickly if you post your DXDiag (sorry, i'm not one of 'em).