I Need Tips To Increase FPS

muratguler

Streamline helps with lower spec machines, by smoothing out the fps rate at a low but near constant level. However, on a higher end machine, it can actually take your fps WAAY down as it takes even a momentary drop as a reason to reduce fps across-the-board drastically, and even if you uninstall it, it doesn't remove the adjustments made to the .ini file - you have to force a re-creation of your ini file from scratch.

I'd back the ini file up first, then delete it and run the game up from the official launcher to recreate the ini file. You WILL lose any custom ini file tweaks of course :(

Streamline works by trading visual features for FPS. If you set it for too high of an FPS, you could cause it to reset all of your visual sliders to minimum. Grass at 5 feet, Objects appear out of nowhere right in front of you. NPCs will appear immediately in front of you already attacking - or invisible archers will fill you with arrows while you try to figure out where they are. When you stop, your vision gradually moves out. then when you start to move it cuts down again.

On my older system, I got the best results by setting max FPS to 24 and min to 13. When I upgraded to a newer system, streamline caused more problems than it fixed. Mostly fog effects. Now, without Streamline, I see much higher FPS along with nearly maxed out visual effects. If you can keep FPS up around 30 most of the time Oblivion will play well.

Here is the best source for tweaking the game for best performance. http://www.tweakguides.com/

Streamline works by trading visual features for FPS. If you set it for too high of an FPS, you could cause it to reset all of your visual sliders to minimum. Grass at 5 feet, Objects appear out of nowhere right in front of you. NPCs will appear immediately in front of you already attacking - or invisible archers will fill you with arrows while you try to figure out where they are. When you stop, your vision gradually moves out. then when you start to move it cuts down again.

On my older system, I got the best results by setting max FPS to 24 and min to 13. When I upgraded to a newer system, streamline caused more problems than it fixed. Mostly fog effects. Now, without Streamline, I see much higher FPS along with nearly maxed out visual effects. If you can keep FPS up around 30 most of the time Oblivion will play well.

Here is the best source for tweaking the game for best performance.http://www.tweakguides.com/

Please tell me how to fix my ini file after uninstalling Streamline! I have a high end system, so apparently I don't need it. What settings does streamline change in the ini?

Edited by silenzer

Streamline changes most of the video settings. To get back to the default settings, rename the Oblivion.ini that is found in the folder with your save games. Usually

C:\Users\your user name\my documents\my games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini

Rename the Oblivion.ini to something like oldoblivion.ini. Then exit out to your desktop and start the game. Go ahead and start a new game to allow it to regenerate the Oblivion.ini based on your hardware. Then make a save and exit. Making a save saves the new Oblivion.ini also. Now go ahead and start the game and continue from your last good save (not the one you just made). Now any changes you make to the video settings will stay as long as you save the game. If it crashes before you save, it will probably not save the new ini settings.

If you use the TweakGuides.com it will have you change many of them manually. However it is best to have the default settings before using their settings to make changes.

Streamline changes most of the video settings. To get back to the default settings, rename the Oblivion.ini that is found in the folder with your save games. Usually

C:\Users\your user name\my documents\my games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini

Rename the Oblivion.ini to something like oldoblivion.ini. Then exit out to your desktop and start the game. Go ahead and start a new game to allow it to regenerate the Oblivion.ini based on your hardware. Then make a save and exit. Making a save saves the new Oblivion.ini also. Now go ahead and start the game and continue from your last good save (not the one you just made). Now any changes you make to the video settings will stay as long as you save the game. If it crashes before you save, it will probably not save the new ini settings.

If you use the TweakGuides.com it will have you change many of them manually. However it is best to have the default settings before using their settings to make changes.

I did that at first but then all sorts of missing meshes show up (if I replace the .ini file). I need another way if it's possible.

Harvest Flora can reduce fps on low spec computer. I test it out near Bruma when from 40-50 fps without harvest to 30 fps with harvest. I test this out with MMM and FRANS plus other mods. Crowded Road mods, distant buildings, increase spawning, higher texture can reduce fps. Try testing out some of the mods and you will find which one is the fps killer.

I don't see how resetting the ini would affect meshes unless some other mod added something to the ini.

If you don't want to reset your ini to the default after removing Streamline, then you will have to make all of the visual changes manually - not difficult as it's mostly the sliders you can manipulate anyway. The tweakguides has a lot of advice on these settings.

Another possibility is to NOT remove Streamline, and just disable the streamsight part. - see the streamline documentation on how to do this. There are several other useful parts that you may want to keep. You will still have to make any visual adjustments manually after disabling though. :thumbsup: