Question about Oblivion...

silentx3ro

Hey all,

So I just picked up the The Eldar Scrolls IV: Oblivion I have it all installed and patched and good to go.

I have never played any of the Eldar Scrolls games *ducks to avoid thrown objects* so my question is this, would I be losing out on any story, backstory, lore, etc critical to Oblivions story/characters/world by not having played the other games?

Bear in mind I'm the kind of person that has spent hours of my life reading quest text in WoW and goes out of my way to explore every corner of a game world. I loves me some depth and history to a world.

So can I treat Oblivion as a stand alone withou feeling like I missed out or should I go hunt down the previous installments first?

I could have asked this on the Bathesda forums but to be honest I figure that people who care about a game enough to commit their time to creating mods are the right kind of folks to ask :)

Any advice that you could give would be appreciated.

Cheers

Xero

Not really, but you'd understand the game a whole lot better if you played most of the series.

At least try out Daggerfall, which can be downloaded free. Daggerfall is a great base to start out with, and you can jump straight into Oblivion. Morrowind is sort of a standalone game of the series. A lot of the stuff in Morrowind doesn't transfer over to Oblivion and Oblivion is actually more similar to Daggerfall anyways.

A great site to check out is here: http://www.uesp.net/

Anything and everything Elder Scrolls is right there. Bethesda themselves rely on the UESP to get their lore right. :)

All their stuff is taken from the games, too. So if you don't want to bother picking up the older games, you don't have to.

No, you wouldn't be missing out on anything really, I myself started with Oblivion and had never even heard of the other Elder Scrolls for about two years when I finally decided to buy it on PC.

Thanks all, I'm likely going to go ahead and play through Oblivion while I hunt down the other titles. I also see myself spending a lot of time on the wiki :)

On an unrelated note, I want to make Oblivion look as pretty as possible, I already have all the graphics options maxed out but can you recommend any particular mods that improve the game visual be it idividual weapons/characters or the world itself :)

Thanks

Xero

Sorry I don't have the time to provide links but a few off the top of my head would be:

-OBMM(Oblivion Mod Manager) and OBSE(Oblivion Script Extender)

-Darnified UI, changes the boring Vanilla interface.

-Unique Landscapes

-Unofficial Oblivion Patch

-A good player-house (Possibly my 'Hawkthorn Manor'? :whistling:)

-Alternative Start Arrive by ship

-Akatosh Mount by Saiden Storm R19

-Keychain

-Clocks of Cyrodiil

All of which can be found on TESNexus.. Except OBSE I think.

-Daledge :thumbsup:

Having played every game in the series, from Arena onward, I would highly recommend checking out all the previous games. Some people have said that Morrowind and Oblivion don't really relate, but I disagree. There are several characters from Morrowind in Oblivion, and references to many other characters and events. Also, there are many lore books in Morrowind that the developers didn't add into Oblivion. (There are mods that add some of them, not sure about all of them.) Also, as Auriana mentioned, UESP is a great site, not only for lore, but for technical bits about the games, as well.

As for mods, Better Cities, Unique Landscapes, and, if your system can handle it, Qarl's Texture Pack 3, all available here on the Nexus.

Thank you for visiting Tamriel, and enjoy your stay!

That is going to be your biggest problem.....mods.

There are so,so many.....also depends on your rig and what you can handle?

What version of the game did you get? one with all the DLC?

No, I actually got what I believe is an original release copy I was given by a buddy of mine as a birthday gift (though I suspect he bought, played and didn't like it and has had it sitting on a shelf for a while!)

as far as my rig goes I'm running the following;

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz

GPU: MSi N560GTX-Ti TwinFrozrII OC Edition

RAM: 4GB DDR2

So far I've installed all the mods suggested in the TweakGuides Optimisation walkthrough and I'm working my way through the other tweaks on there.

I'm not really looking to add any content to the game just make it look as good as possible as I plan on doing a sort of Vanilla (with the excepion of mods to improve the graphics) playthrough before I start adding any huge stuff.

Edited by silentx3ro