Malcolm Mcdowell as John Henry Eden

mojodajojo

Malcolm McDowell as John Henry Eden  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the job he did portraying John Henry Eden?

• Best voice over in the history of the universe!
    • Good work, but not spectacular.
    • I wasn't impressed.

I've always kind of liked his work as an actor, but I was stunned when I learned that was him. He sounded more "American" than I do and he was born in the UK. To me, he was really amazing doing that weird amalgam of U.S. presidents thing that he did.

I too have always loved his work. My vote would have to fit somewhere between 1 and 2. As you noted, he is British, and therefore sort of mixed up American accents a bit, but I sill loved it. He is excellent.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

He sounded convincingly early 20th century east coast upper class. Play back some old tapes of FDR and you'll see how well "John Henry Eden" nails the spirit without resorting to cheap mimicry. McDowell isn't "impersonating FDR", he's doing a unique character who might've belonged to the same sailing club as FDR.

It's a masterpiece of voice acting!

Edited by RatcatcherOfKvatch

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even realise it was him, so he did a good job lol. He dose sound like one those posh upper-class Americans you see in the movies (I am not American btw).

Interesting, being an American who has lived over most of the country I kinda pigeon holed the voice as a middle/lower class southerner.