FO4 CTD on entering Display settings menu and more..

roxas1785

Today I accidentally installed the survival mode beta unintentionally. After discovering this I promptly disabled betas for Fallout 4. After doing this however, I am unable to load a save game with my mods enabled but they still show up in NMM as enabled. ALSO, if I attempt to enter the display settings menu on the main screen, I get an immediate CTD. I have tried LOOT, disabling recent mods, verifying the integrity of the cache, and checked the version of my GPU drivers. I can't seem to find these issues anywhere else and I am at wit's end. Help would be much appreciated!

My system specs:

Intel I5 4590

Gigabyte Radeon R9 280

Corsair vengeance 8GB RAM

Asrock Z97M Pro 4 Mobo

EVGA Supernova 650

Just a thought... Have you tried running the Fallout4.exe and see what is chosen in options? One thing to make sure of is that the resolution is set to the same as your windows desktop resolution. If it is different then this generally will cause the game to CTD but usually even before you get to the main game screen. But might be good to check anyway. BTW after you check the options don't run the game from there. Quit and then go back to NMM and run it.

Also you might try deleting or moving the Fallout4.ini and Fallout4pref.ini files out of the documents/mygames/Fallout4 folder. Then run Fallout4.exe. This will force the game to select a video resolution and recreate the ini files. Again make sure that you check the resolution like mentioned above.

Just a thought... Have you tried running the Fallout4.exe and see what is chosen in options? One thing to make sure of is that the resolution is set to the same as your windows desktop resolution. If it is different then this generally will cause the game to CTD but usually even before you get to the main game screen. But might be good to check anyway. BTW after you check the options don't run the game from there. Quit and then go back to NMM and run it.

Also you might try deleting or moving the Fallout4.ini and Fallout4pref.ini files out of the documents/mygames/Fallout4 folder. Then run Fallout4.exe. This will force the game to select a video resolution and recreate the ini files. Again make sure that you check the resolution like mentioned above.

Just tried all of your suggestions to no avail. My game still doesn't recognize my activated mods on attempt to load a save, and my game continues to crash when entering the display menu.

Well I guess you might need to just uninstall FO4 completely also deleting the FO4 folder in MyDocuments and then doing a clean install of the game and see if it fixes the issue.

yes. I may just have to do that. When I installed the beta my F4SE wouldn't launch and so I installed the newest beta of F4SE. Do you think that could've effected something?

• 2 months later...

Actually, it looks like it has something to do with the Fallout4Custom.ini
When i took out:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=
[Gameplay]:
fPlayerDisableSprintingLoadingCellDistance=0
I could enter the display options again. Idk how to stop this? or why its happening, though.

EDIT:
this should solve the issue:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/364040166672733303/
Edited by happymonsterr1331