OBSE Steam help... Please give it a read

Have you tried this:

• download OBSE, as well as the updated loader, from the official website, then extract them
  • copy these files to your Oblivion folder (with Oblivion.exe): obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll, obse_loader.exe
  • copy this one from the updated loader file and overwrite the one you just copied: obse_loader.exe
  • open your Steam library, then launch Oblivion from there (the launcher will appear, click Play)
  • in-game, open console, select an NPC and see if this command works: SetRefEssential 1
  • if it works (no errors printed), your OBSE is installed and working

What is it, exactly, that you have tried, that has not worked? Could your antivirus perhaps cause issues (never happened to me, though)? Have you tried it with and without Steam overlay (I currently have it disabled yet OBSE still works)?

Edited by Contrathetix

Thank you, but that is all the guides and tutorials I have seen says, and I still cannot get it to function... I'm Getting very frustrated with it, mainly because so many mods and a few I myself want to create are dependent on it....

Have you tried this:

• download OBSE, as well as the updated loader, from the official website, then extract them

• copy these files to your Oblivion folder (with Oblivion.exe): obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll, obse_loader.exe

• copy this one from the updated loader file and overwrite the one you just copied: obse_loader.exe

• open your Steam library, then launch Oblivion from there (the launcher will appear, click Play)

• in-game, open console, select an NPC and see if this command works: SetRefEssential 1

• if it works (no errors printed), your OBSE is installed and working
What is it, exactly, that you have tried, that has not worked? Could your antivirus perhaps cause issues (never happened to me, though)? Have you tried it with and without Steam overlay (I currently have it disabled yet OBSE still works)?

If you have Steam (and thus Oblivion and OBSE) installed in the default C:\Program Files (x86) location then you will need to widen your search to what steps you will need to take with run permissions on which executeables.

Or you could use the instructions in Bbens Complete Uninstall/Reinstall for Oblivion to get Steam and thus Oblivion out from under UAC's grasp (and if you have the misfortune to be saddled with Microsoft's latest phone/tablet/PC OS aka Win 10 ... well good luck, because I believe it takes protecting you from yourself to new, higher than ever levels).

If you have Steam (and thus Oblivion and OBSE) installed in the default C:\Program Files (x86) location then you will need to widen your search to what steps you will need to take with run permissions on which executeables.

Or you could use the instructions in Bbens Complete Uninstall/Reinstall for Oblivion to get Steam and thus Oblivion out from under UAC's grasp (and if you have the misfortune to be saddled with Microsoft's latest phone/tablet/PC OS aka Win 10 ... well good luck, because I believe it takes protecting you from yourself to new, higher than ever levels).

Well, I have just gotten it working, and I doubt that would help, as I am using Win 7... Would the fact that I have Steam and Oblivion installed on E: drive cause any problems...? Just asking, I did not install it there, by the way.

I have Oblivion installed on my G drive (a separate hard drive dedicated to just games). In your case E:\Games\... (whatever the folder path for Steam games is) would be ideal. My disk version of the game is G:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion for example.

All MS operating systems after Win XP have had UAC ... Win 10 is just the most obtrusive in the line.

Edited by Striker879

I have Oblivion installed on my G drive (a separate hard drive dedicated to just games). In your case E:\Games\... (whatever the folder path for Steam games is) would be ideal. My disk version of the game is G:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion for example.

All MS operating systems after Win XP have had UAC ... Win 10 is just the most obtrusive in the line.

Well, thank you anyway for the help, and it appears it is on the ideal drive, and my E is dedicated to games... But I have had no problems with UAC..

UAC mostly only controls C (more precisely only the Windows system folders on there, like program files and the like, where the game is installed by default), so of course you using E you'll never have problems with UAC.

And your game already being on E also means you won't need to move it using the uninstall/reinstall guide you were linked to. You already moved it out of harm's way the first time you installed it. :thumbsup: