Alienware is it worth it?

survivalist92

It was good once... Still overpriced... but good.

Then DELL bought them... Yes, THAT Dell. Same Dell crap quality, just with a gimmick and an overinflated price. If you want to pay $500 more for a system that uses lackluster components, go ahead.

Last Dell computer I dealt with crapped out in 5 months... DVD drive stopped working, memory went bad, then power supply fried everything before crapping out. It was like the computer realized how much of a piece of s*** it was and committed suicide. Thankfully it wasn't mine, but I know that it wasn't even being pushed or misused.

Bad instance... maybe. But I've also opened up enough pre-built PCs to see just how they tend to cheap out on you. Memory looks cheap, HDD is made by some no-name company, and there is usually no room to plug in extra hard drives, memory, or even PCI cards. There's a reason why the cases are usually a royal *censored* to open up without breaking something, keeps you from seeing what the computer really looks like.

You wouldn't buy a car without peeking under the hood... even if you didn't know anything about cars, why wouldn't you do the same with a PC?

It's almost always cheaper to build a PC yourself and isn't hard to learn how in this day when people can look over your build and tell you how compatible components. The money you save on building yourself can even be used to buy replacement parts should you accidentally fry something in the process of building.

*edit* Also, pre-built computers often come with bundled software, while that might look like a value, usually it isn't. Bundled software is notoriously hard to remove, and most of it is stuff you'll never use nor want to (spore creature creator was common once... DVD breaking DRM included :facepalm: ). McAffee is usually part, and is just downright useless for doing anything other than instilling a false sense of security and eating up memory. Even as far as software goes, you're better off buying an OEM version of windows and software you actually plan on using.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, i found out im not going to be making much money this summer.... guess that means no Alienware.... (stupid economy -_- )

Edit: i've been persuaded, gonna use the links above. Better PC, cheaper... but unknown quality (even when paying the extra stuff for the alleged "safety" stuff from IbuyPower and CyberPower)

Don't use a site like ibuypower. Just buy the components and assemble it yourself. Simple as that.

Can you build gaming laptops like this as well because i'm mostly mobile and i don't have a place for a desktop?

Can you build gaming laptops like this as well because i'm mostly mobile and i don't have a place for a desktop?

Nope, laptops pretty much have to be built by a manufacturer due to the specific way that parts have to fit and interact. You can still upgrade some laptops, but a "gaming" laptop is still a bit of misnomer. A "gaming" laptop is little more than a high-spec normal laptop aimed at luring gamers into a product line. If you want mobile gaming, get a PSP. Not to say that you can't play games on a laptop, but not many games are suited for a touch-pad so you end up needing a usb or wireless mouse, and a mousepad, and a platform for the mouse... kinda ruining the whole mobility aspect of a laptop. If you need a laptop for work/school, get one for work or school that might still be able to run some lesser control demanding games. Don't bother getting one built for "gaming" though since about all you'll accomplish is getting a nice space heater.

all right, all right. i won't get an Alienware, but i've had a bad experience with the PCs i've built or family members built....

so i'll just get an IBuyPower

24Gig of RAM

Liquid Cooling

Overclocking

all that good stuff :D

Liquid Cooling

Ah you know how to supply yearly water cooling service to a PC

oh... i guess i forgot it's finite... no i don't. think google has the answer?

Edited by survivalist92

all right, all right. i won't get an Alienware, but i've had a bad experience with the PCs i've built or family members built....

24Gig of RAM

Liquid Cooling

Overclocking

24gigs of ram! are you gonna run 3 monitors with 7 internet bowers running 4 music programs while playing 3 different games? if not its way overkill most games dont use over 2 gigs.

24Gig of RAM

Liquid Cooling

Overclocking

24gigs of ram! are you gonna run 3 monitors with 7 internet bowers running 4 music programs while playing 3 different games? if not its way overkill most games dont use over 2 gigs.

it is overkill, but it makes sure you will never run out.... ever.... for all eternity... or something like that :D

24Gig of RAM

Liquid Cooling

Overclocking

it is overkill, but it makes sure you will never run out.... ever.... for all eternity... or something like that :D

and its a cheaper way to burn cash than buying a boat