I choose instute. Brotherhood of Steel enemy of my now.

IncBox

One does not simple explain away enslaving your own children.

Or kidnapping other peoples children for that matter.

Fine - I am joining the Brotherhood of Steel for my second playthrough. Are you happy yet?

Incidentally, what are the chances we will be made Elder of a Commonwealth Chapter when Arthur Maxson eventually goes back home? Just asking...

Edited by CyrusAmell

One does not simple explain away enslaving your own children.

Or kidnapping other peoples children for that matter.

Fine - I am joining the Brotherhood of Steel for my second playthrough. Are you happy yet?

Incidentally, what are the chances we will be made Elder of a Commonwealth Chapter when Arthur Maxson eventually goes back home? Just asking...

It was originally planned for you to be able to assume the Eldership. Here's the cut content:

I can understand why they might have changed their minds. Thinking about it, it really just makes little sense. Still, the possibilities.. =^[.]^=

So a hurr hurr we got nuclear bomb and even better the big badass robot, fear us peasants! faction is better?

Which peasants does the BoS threaten in FO4? I know that the Institute has kept the Commonwealth gripped with fear and paranoia for ages, has wiped out entire settlements for tech (Institute Point), and is responsible for kidnapping and replacing those same "peasants," often experimenting on them with FEV.

And the BoS has done what, again? =0[.]o=

Well there was that time they killed any living thing in their path when passing through Pittsburgh :blush:

So a hurr hurr we got nuclear bomb and even better the big badass robot, fear us peasants! faction is better?

Which peasants does the BoS threaten in FO4? I know that the Institute has kept the Commonwealth gripped with fear and paranoia for ages, has wiped out entire settlements for tech (Institute Point), and is responsible for kidnapping and replacing those same "peasants," often experimenting on them with FEV.

Well there was that time they killed any living thing in their path when passing through Pittsburgh :blush:

Well, they should have moved out of the way...

Fine, I ain't joining anyone cause apparently my new wife (Cait) hates when I take orders from anyone, well...okay...what you say honey:)

Well technically we could assume that BoS, Institute, Enclave and other factions kind of reflect the pre-war world given BoS was originally built by military remnants, Institute by scientists, Enclave by political and military elite and then there is Vault-tec originally beginning as a private corporation progressing into major military technology research and development organization, almost like a shadow government. Ultimately both BoS and Institute have a goal not to witness second great war, BoS by confiscating and safeguarding technology and Institute by trying to wipe out every single trace of pre-war society and replace it with a new model. As to what is right and what is wrong that is debatable really. Not to mention that Institute in the beginning tried to help the surfacers but unfortunate accidents drove them away from such ideal much like general distrust. So far only Enclave expressed complete disinterest in helping people cause Enclave was formed to colonize post-apocalytptic world and posture itself as it's sole ruler caste. Yes that was the original idea behind Enclave as a response towards Vault-Tec scheming.

Edited by k361

Pretty sure the Sole Survivor knows bupkis about that, or about Elder Lyons' atypical altruism in the DC Wasteland, for that matter. I'm just speaking in the context of the Commonwealth, and what might inform the SS's decision as to which faction to support. =^[.]^=

Pretty sure the Sole Survivor knows bupkis about that, or about Elder Lyons' atypical altruism in the DC Wasteland, for that matter. I'm just speaking in the context of the Commonwealth, and what might inform the SS's decision as to which faction to support. =^[.]^=

Well, I believe that an argument can be made for the Sole Survivor favoring the Brotherhood based on the faction patrol mechanic in the game. It's not perfect, but I think its something.

Basically of the four major factions, only three actually contribute patrols: The Minutemen, the Brotherhood and the Institute.

The Railroad only has agents at checkpoints. They are not an army and so do not have the numbers to spare for patrols. At least, I have never seen one.

The Minutemen send out patrols no matter who you side with. You may think at first that they can do the job fine on their own, but if you actually walk up to a patrol and appraise their armament I guarantee you will not be impressed.

The Brotherhood of Steel does send out patrols before the game is beat, and compared to Minutemen patrols are a force to be reckoned with. Two, maybe even three soldiers in power armor along with a scribe and initiate to balance things out.

The Institute apparently sends out patrols at the end of the game, for some unknown reason. But these groups, which also command checkpoints, are made of weak gen 1 and 2 units. I also do not know for certain that these synths won’t be hostile to other Wastelanders – including your own Minutemen patrols (I may be wrong here). Frankly, this is the exact opposite of what I would have ordered as Director so we are off to a flying start aren't we? Running the Institute must be like wrangling smart/evil cats. I can see now why "Father" was a bit batty.

In sum, a Sole Survivor by midgame can deduce the usefulness of siding with the Brotherhood of Steel if he or she values these patrols. This is because in the Commonwealth Wasteland there is the constant threat of raiders, ghouls, super mutants, rogue robots, deathclaws and all manner of scum threatening travelers. If it’s just the Minutemen patrolling the land then the Commonwealth is in for a few rough years until they can get their act together. But with the Brotherhood tramping around everywhere you can easily imagine that time getting cut by a large margin.

Despite Preston Garvey’s early misgivings, I believe that an alliance of convenience between the Minutemen and the Brotherhood would expedite the suppression of the worst elements of the Wasteland. Naturally, this is what I believe a Sole Survivor can assume by gauging the strength of the first Brotherhood patrols he or she sees. Not to mention the constant sorties by Vertibirds, a factor largely undermined by how frequently the stupid things crash.

It is not completely unprecedented. I think that Maxson has retained just enough of Lyon’s Doctrine to accept working alongside local forces when convenient.

Edited by CyrusAmell