Body textures and replacers not working

IWolfieI

I've installed the HGEC and Roberts Male V5 mods and the wolven anthros custom race. But the body textures do not appear. Also im using the steam version of the game. I've instealed in in C:/Games/steam etc. I have no idea why it won't work as i have installed them correctly as it worked fine when i used them on a torrented version of the game i used to use before i bought it.

The order you install replacers is important if they both or all alter the same files. Certain file names and paths are hardcoded into Oblivion, so whichever replacer you install last will be the one that the game tries to display. If the files that last installed replacer uses works for all three mods you're golden ... if not, well you're not so golden.

Edit: Here a quote from a post by DrakeTheDragon on this thread

If you do use the Wolven Anthros, just make sure you really install them in this order: V3 full package first, V4 update package afterwards and the Invisible Wolf Fix at last. They will each replace almost all files of their predecessors, so just permit them to overwrite, if they ask.

Leads me to believe you'd want to install your Wolven Anthros last.

Edited by Striker879

Most likely it's Archive Invalidation to blame here. Which method for this did you use? I've had Steam users getting issues with even meshes (something which normally doesn't require Invalidation to begin with), only because they were using the wrong approach. BSA Redirection is all you'll ever need. Fire once, never bother with AI anymore. Get rid of any left-over ArchiveInvalidation.txt files as those will cause random issues such as this trying to invalidate files which aren't inside the newly placed dummy BSA (that's what BSA Redirection does) to begin with. BSA Redirection can be triggered through either OBMM's Utilities for Archive Invalidation (leave all settings on default and just make sure it's BSA Redirection selected), Wrye Bash's pendant from the Replacer tab, or the famous mod ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!. They all do the same.

It could be also the file dates of your BSA files being far too recent for any mod-added resources to ever be used over them. In this case you can rectify this by using a tool to redate them to a proper year sufficiently far in the past. But somehow this is a confusing topic as it's still not sure this is even responsible for causing those issues to begin with. It'd be best to read up about this particular topic on Steam's own modding forums for Oblivion. As I'm not using Steam myself I've got only limited knowledge about the topic and am mostly just repeating what I heard of or read somewhere some time ago.

Oh, just in case, make sure that's happening when you're not wearing any clothing or armor items, as Vanilla items "will" give you back a Vanilla body while you wear them, unless their files got replaced by ones fitting the respective bodies/body mods as well, so-called Stock or Overhaul Clothing And Armor Replacers. The Wolven Anthros, and many others I know of, my own included, don't have texture support for Vanilla body meshes and as such Vanilla bodies will fall back to Imperial textures. Thus it's imperative not to be using any Vanilla body meshes anymore in any clothing or armor items.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

... BSA Redirection is all you'll ever need. Fire once, never bother with AI anymore....

This is not always the case.

For me BSA Redirection ALONE did not work. Maybe because I have repackaged one of the standard .bsa for testing purposes.

Right now I use BSA Redirection and BSA Invalidation in paralell. And I read another post here at Nexus a few weeks ago where someone was proposing an empty ArchiveInvalidation.txt in parallel to BSA Redirection. So it's apparently not only me who had problems with Redirection alone.

Just in case someone else runs into the same ....

Don't know about the empty one, but I know if there's a left-over one from previous approaches, it will be like telling the game to invalidate a file which is not there (the dummy BSA is empty after all) and this will cause multiple random issues.

There are special cases I've read of when one needs to use BSA Alteration, but I myself didn't come across any need for this, yet.