Let's talk companions.

k361

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I drank a bottle of wine (gradually :laugh: ) and decided to have a little fun. I was travelling with Cait, Piper, Curie and Humanoid ADA. I went to Sanctuary and ADA was getting on my nerves a bit so I had removed her armour and weapons but due to a glitch I couldn't dismiss her. Marcy Long walked past and uttered one of her sarcastic remarks and , having read that since an update she could be killed, I shot her after quicksaving the game. As I expected, all 25 settlers opened fire. They are all armed with Recon Overcharged Laser Sniper Rifles and Molotovs and are in full Combat Armour.

The twist was that Curie and Piper joined in with their Gatling Lasers !

I ran down to the Red Rocket pursued by the settlers only to find that the Red Rocket settlers also opened fire (luckily I was in God Mode).

I hadn't seen Cait or Ada since this started but found Ada injured so gave her a Stimpak and quickly a weapon and ammo. Then Cait showed up.

Both she and Ada were on my side !

So I learned who my real friends were, and after reloading the game I dismissed Curie and Piper to Sanctuary. Screw them.

Companions *should* react to the murder of a faction member. How do they know you're not a synth gone haywire? But rather than flip out, they should queue up a dialogue for an explanation, temporarily change factions so they don't engage other angry faction members, then decide to leave or stay based on your dialogue responses. There are ways to handle this scenario gracefully.

Bethesda took the easy way out: shoot a faction member -> companion flips. I don't blame the companion for that, any more than I blame them for pathfinding. Their personalities are more important to my canon friendships than Bethesda's sloppy scripting.

Companions *should* react to the murder of a faction member. How do they know you're not a synth gone haywire? But rather than flip out, they should queue up a dialogue for an explanation, temporarily change factions so they don't engage other angry faction members, then decide to leave or stay based on your dialogue responses. There are ways to handle this scenario gracefully.

Bethesda took the easy way out: shoot a faction member -> companion flips. I don't blame the companion for that, any more than I blame them for pathfinding. Their personalities are more important to my canon friendships than Bethesda's sloppy scripting.

But Cait is a companion, human and she didn't flip. She was on my side, firing at the settlers. Ada too. I know she is normally a robot but she didn't turn on me. I forgot to mention that I also have the custom Courser companion T0-R1 at Sanctuary and she also was my ally.

But Cait is a companion, human and she didn't flip. She was on my side, firing at the settlers. Ada too. I know she is normally a robot but she didn't turn on me. I forgot to mention that I also have the custom Courser companion T0-R1 at Sanctuary and she also was my ally.

Cait is factionless. So is Strong, MacCready, Dogmeat, and the Automatron bots (off the top of my head here).

For Piper, Curie, Nick, Preston, possibly Codsworth, civilians are in the same faction, so they go hostile if you shoot one. Just as Deacon would if you shot a RR agent. Or Danse would if you shot a BOS soldier.

It's out of character for Piper and Curie to go hostile over a stranger like Marcy. Ghouls shouldn't attack Hancock. Supermutants outside Trinity Tower shouldn't attack Strong. But that's Bethesda's limited faction setup for you. :smile: Which is why I personally would never blame Piper and Curie for it, what matters to me is their canon personalities.

Edit: for clarity

Edited by dragonturtle

Reminds me of the time the settlers at the Lighthouse uttered one rude comment too many. I quicksaved, turned on the siren to gather them all in one place then opened fire. Danse flipped out and called me mad, but "Strong loved that" followed by "Strong idolises you." Despite all that Danse was on my side, likely reluctantly and Strong was having a blast as usual.

I didn't have a follower at the time but with all the "Danse hated that" messages I got, killing about 15 settlers, he probably wouldn't have been recruitable again. I reloaded after that, which is why I quicksave before going on a rampage :p

• 4 months later...

In terms of personality, my favorite companion is gotta be Deacon, his quips and remark always cracks me up. Very amusing when clearing places with him. Second favorite falls to Danse, aside from the fact that the PC and him are brothers in arms, his morality (especially after his quest) falls in line with my PC. The least favorite? That would be X6-88, aside from the fact that he's always ended up attacking me during the Nuclear Option quest (as i always destroy the Institute in every playtrough), i don't see anything interesting in him, he has no personality whatsoever.

While in gameplay, i would pick companions that corresponds with the situation I'm currently handling. If i'm going to do a faction quest, i'm going to go with companions affiliated with that faction, when I'm doing mercenary related quest, I'm usually go with MacCready or Cait, and etc.

I finally got round to playing with Dogmeat recently but oh man is he irritating ! I am shooting at the enemy - hello Dogmeat ? - yes please jump in front of me and take the brunt of my fire. See that Super Mutant Suicider Dogmeat ? Just grab his arm, that will go really well ! The last straw was when I took Cait into Vault 95 and there are two laser tripwires. I disable one then Dogmeat runs across the other and all hell breaks loose. I just had to dismiss the mutt after that.

In terms of personality, my favourite have to be Automatrons with the Sentry or Assaultron voices. That is, they have no personality. They'll comment about getting into combat and such, but otherwise you hear nary a peep from them or from the people around while I walk around with an Automatron in tow.

Put a relatively silent jet on the sucker, and you'd hardly know it's there. Well, that is, until a fight breaks out and everything dies horribly in a burst of gatling laser fire :tongue:

Edit: well, I say gatling laser, but other weapons are full too. Like, you can't beat a chaingun shotgun for exploding every car in sight and aggroing every faction that happened to be along the street. I think it especially fits Jezebel. She *ahem* helps many people real quick with it :wink: