just a question

starkbier

hi guys,

is it normal that oblivion will crash when it hits more than 1,7 gb of ram, even though i use a 4gb "patch"? if no, how can i avoid this problem?

in order to avoid this, i have been using low uGridDistantTreeRange, uGridsToLoad etc.

maybe there is a better solution? my system is rather high-end, and its definately the game not the machine that makes the crash. i have to admit that i have a big bunch of mods, though (qarls texture pack, better cities, unique landscapes and so on).

edit:

i have streamline too, its good, but the problem persists as described.

Edited by starkbier

Most regular modders use the Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System and Fast Exit 2 OBSE Plugins - they greatly help system stability. I'm assuming that you've used BOSS and Wrye Bash to minimise conflicts between mods. Also, disable Salmo the Baker if you are using COBL - it's a known crash causer. Edited by MarkInMKUK

Most regular modders use the Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System and Fast Exit 2 OBSE Plugins - they greatly help system stability. I'm assuming that you've used BOSS and Wrye Bash to minimise conflicts between mods. Also, disable Salmo the Baker if you are using COBL - it's a known crash causer.

thank you for the suggestions, but i am using those game stability mods already, and wrye bash too, of course. its not a problem with load order or conflicts, because as long as the game doesnt hit more than 1,7gb i rarely get a crash (almost never). its not random crashes

thanks for the hint. i have already had the 4gb patch but i cant get it to work. i downloaded osr again, new obse, new 4gb patch, and this time i patched only the oblivion.exe not obse.exe. its still not helping. i have windows7 ultimate 64 bit, might that be a problem ?

i also changed the suggested values in the osr.ini file, and maybe the game crashes now a little bit later (2gb not 1,7) but still they say, it should be able to use up to 3.8gb which is not the case for me.

any other suggestions?

=================================

*Please be aware that the patch may produce undesirable results if used on an altered or modified Oblivion.exe file.

maybe the 4gb patch does not work because i had been using a cracked exe for oblivion? i have the game originally but years ago i got too lazy to always insert the disc, then got a crack. now i tried to install the game on another machine and patch the game so i could get my exe file i need. but i cant get it to the version 1.2.0416, only 1.2.something lower

but i have done it right: first install game, restart, make a savegame, then install shivering isles which has a patch for oblivion too, and then install shivering isles patch. but maybe its not the exe file which causes the non-working 4gb patch after all... please help!

I use windows 7 64 bit and Ive never had problems with it. Has the game worked in the past? Or is just recently? Throw up your load order. Even if you dont think it is, conflicting mods happen all the time and it couldnt hurt. As for me, I use low graphics anyway so I never CTD because the game would be too epic for my screen T.T. Oh and dont talk about cracking your game here, they get heavy on piracy, thats a big no no. Shivering Isles has the latest and last official patch so if you have it then your good.

I use windows 7 64 bit and Ive never had problems with it. Has the game worked in the past? Or is just recently? Throw up your load order. Even if you dont think it is, conflicting mods happen all the time and it couldnt hurt. As for me, I use low graphics anyway so I never CTD because the game would be too epic for my screen T.T. Oh and dont talk about cracking your game here, they get heavy on piracy, thats a big no no. Shivering Isles has the latest and last official patch so if you have it then your good.

well, i know it is not a mod-related problem, i have definately detected this to be the reason i have described above. i always had this problem, so i used to limit the sizes in the ini file so i stay under the "maximum" of 1,7gb. and yes i have shivering isles and the latest patch for it as well. the funny thing is that i tried a clean install of the game with shivering isles + patch on another machine so i could get a "real" original, patched exe-file - but it stays some old version, even after patching. i dont understand why .. maybe somebody knows a source where i could get this patched, original exe file, so i can test if it is that problem?

Yes that is a problem. It's called piracy and we ban for that.

Banned for requesting copyrighted material.

Bben46, Moderator

*Please be aware that the patch may produce undesirable results if used on an altered or modified Oblivion.exe file.

Yup, that's what it says, and that's what it means. You have a 'cracked' version to allow you to play without a DVD in the drive. And that is EXACTLY what that warning is warning you about. :confused:

Thread locked as OP was banned for requesting pirated version of Oblivion.