Skyrim using Steam?

aaroncox

i hate steam. i got 2 cd's from the retail store of shogun total war. and each and every time it MADE me download it through steam when my internet is crappy. That's the toughest part when your starting at the cd's and your wondering WELL WHAT'S THE FREAKING POINT OF CD'S IF THEY'RE MAKING ME DOWNLOAD THE ENTIRE GAME OFF THE INTERNET, WHY DID I EVEN GO TO WALMART TO BUY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE? cheap scam companies say they use to prevent piracy. yes the root of all the people who hate steam is due to poor connections.

You really should be able to install the game from disc, even if you activate it on Steam.

It seems pretty likely that Bethesda will be going with Steam for Skyrim. I don't mind it. It's definitely better than GFWL. And occassionally it has really really good game deals.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But it is a royal pain in the butt with mods at times. You only have to look at what happened with the Type 3 for New Vegas body replacer every time Steam updated the game. No you CAN'T stop it doing it, goodness knows I tried.

The game is to epic to just to be released as digital download version. I bet many poeple including myself want a collectors edition.

And as for steam... simply install it somewhere else, not the default folder.

Edited by Nadimos

Nah. I'd much rather not use Steam.

I mean, it doesn't really come with any useful stuff or features at all. It is basically just annoying when you have to use it. Correct me if I'm wrong but my experience tells me that you have to have a working internet connection while playing certain games, because you have to open it with Steam. And sometimes the internet does twitch and it will be down for a certain amount of time, depending on the company, and that means that you really can't play the game unless you have a working internet.

There we go again. Get a better internet connection and stop blaming Steam. If you bough the game on retail, you can still install it using the DVD, but you'll need to activate the game on steam. Nothing more. You can also use Steam on offline mode, you'll just need an internet connection to activate the game first. You could sue the company all you want, but you'd be losing money, that's for sure.

Nah. I'd much rather not use Steam.

I mean, it doesn't really come with any useful stuff or features at all. It is basically just annoying when you have to use it. Correct me if I'm wrong but my experience tells me that you have to have a working internet connection while playing certain games, because you have to open it with Steam. And sometimes the internet does twitch and it will be down for a certain amount of time, depending on the company, and that means that you really can't play the game unless you have a working internet.

Ok I will correct you, no you dont always need to be online for Steam to work. Many people seem to not know there is a thing called "offline mode" in Steam. When you turn it on and turn your connection off it will go into offline mode, where Steam is still active and you can still play pretty all games but online ones without the internet.

There we go again. Get a better internet connection and stop blaming Steam. If you bough the game on retail, you can still install it using the DVD, but you'll need to activate the game on steam. Nothing more. You can also use Steam on offline mode, you'll just need an internet connection to activate the game first. You could sue the company all you want, but you'd be losing money, that's for sure.

i'm gonna hit you on top of the head.. i CAN'T get a better internet connection where i live.. you got a problem with that? i'll blame steam all the **** i want too because i can't play a game that i spent $50 on. If YOU think YOU can get IT to work. come over to my house and DO IT. i've tried everything in the world to do it off the cd. AND IT WONT LET ME. i dont CARE how tired you are of people blaming steam. steam is pointless and sucks.

Get a better internet connection and stop blaming Steam.

I appreciate that there are many people for whom Steam is a ideal means of playing games, but there are some for whom

Steam is not a good option. As far as an 'internet connection' goes: where I live it is extra expensive (nearly the same as the

cost of electricity - with a 5-20GB cap on traffic per month), and broadband here runs much slower than in other countries.

A few months ago the entire connection was broken by someone digging a ditch 10mile out of town.

.. so getting a better internet connection would be 'move country' .. (yeah, right)

Skyrim is a game with worldwide interest, and quite different conditions exist worldwide. Hopefully these factors are taken into account,

but the PC share of the game's market is quite small (compared to the PS3 and XBOX market), so I doubt they'll mind peeving

off a few foreign PC users who can't gain reasonable access to the game.

((Not that I'm also looking at:

anyone who pre-orders Skyrim will receive a physical copy of the game’s map.

... will be available in North America and European territories ...

.. gee thanks! ;)

))

Naturally - I will be looking to use someone else's internet connection to do the one-off authentication, my children want Skyrim

to be released yesterday : )

-----------------

East of the Far East

West of the Wild West

Below the Down Under

.. NZ

So, do we have any information that says 'yes or no' to Skyrim and Steam. I've looked but those two keywords are like sex and candy - all over the internet. :psyduck:

I don't care if they put Skyrim up for Steam users, but please if I get the disc don't make me use Steam.

Steam is fine for what it is - but I don't care for it. My internet connection is just fine. I had FONV through Steam and modding was just a P.I.T.A. Right now my Oblivion folder with all the mods I have in it is over 25Gigs - I like mods. As long as it's not mandatory for the people whom buy the disc retail, I'll be happy.