Modding Wall

Deleted17761465User

Have you tried cleaning the .esp with TES4Edit? There could be a lot of unintentional edits saved, the CS will do that sometimes.

Make a backup first, though. I am always paranoid of situations like this, I usually keep backups of the last 3 or so versions of my projects.

Another thing to try would be importing or merging the mod into the Bashed Patch. Probably going to be necessary to get it to play nice with other mods anyways. Note that if you do this while still working on the mod, you will have to rebuild the Bashed Patch each time you make changes to the .esp.

Edited by eric31415

Have you tried cleaning the .esp with TES4Edit? There could be a lot of unintentional edits saved, the CS will do that sometimes.

Make a backup first, though. I am always paranoid of situations like this, I usually keep backups of the last 3 or so versions of my projects.

Another thing to try would be importing or merging the mod into the Bashed Patch. Probably going to be necessary to get it to play nice with other mods anyways. Note that if you do this while still working on the mod, you will have to rebuild the Bashed Patch each time you make changes to the .esp.

The mod will load if I include a bash patch as the 5th in the load order (my mod's .ESP 4th, Oblivion.esm first and then Knights & Shivering Isles). Could it possible help if someone else were to take a look at the .esp?

asking is different from imposing. You are an anonymous internet user, no one is obliged to do stuff for you if he doesn't feel the need to. :wink:

Anyway, you'll have a better chance to reach them (if you are unwilling to send pms) here:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/25-oblivion-mods/

Ah thanks, but I guess it isn't needed anymore now (maybe in the future for something else) because I've circumvented the bug from occurring despite making the exact same edits. This is how I did it: Used the Extended Construction Set version, limited myself to making about 30 or 40 edits then closing and starting up the editor again, and never making in-between saves only saving prior to a restart. Now my .esp works perfectly fine loading it up in the editor and the game loads it perfectly fine as well even going far beyond the amount of changes I could do before.

Right now it is still unclear to me as to why exactly the .esp would corrupt, but at least I've found a way around it albeit an annoying one. If anyone has any other suggestions regarding this I'm always open to it.

If anyone has tips: I keep my own log about what I have changed and what I am going to change, but I think the progress of the mod could go a lot faster if I didn't have to do this. When installing Wrye Bash I saw that it had an export function but how do you export literally everything at once? This way I'd only have to this every day when I'm done editing and not keep my own log manually which is slow. I could then just compare logs if I happen to have to revert back to an older working one to see what I recently changed. It'd also be great if there were a way to spellcheck these logs effectively for typos and such.

At any rate, I am happy the mod is back on track now.

Edited by Guest

No clear answers to the problem you experienced, but just confirming that the vanilla CS does seem to have certain limits. One thing I noticed back in the day (before CSE came along) was with landscape textures. Trying to paint textures over a wide area without saving would cause it to crash. I circumvented the issue by saving every few minutes. Which is generally a wise thing to do anyway. CSE doesn't seem to have that little glitch. There are many other downsides to using vanilla CS. Suffice to say I would strongly suggest using CSE for all your modding endeavors.

It has far fewer issues to work with, and you won't have to clean out all the garbage that vanilla CS randomly adds to your plugin.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hey, how is the mod going?

Hey, after about a three month period of not touching the project at all I have commenced working on it again this week. I was busy with several other projects but now I have the time again.

And since I last posted here the work on it has been going great. I've overcome some hurdles I didn't think I could tackle without resorting to OBSE and such. Every problem I have tackled I have resolved to my satisfaction. Today attempting to streamline the haggling system didn't go over too well, though. Seems like a veritable nightmare to me. If anyone knows the specifics on how the game determines their values that would be great to know.

Edited by Guest