!!!!OBLIVION HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Isaachudson

I just got oblivion for pc today because I liked it on xbox. When I decided I wanted to download the tyrael armor. So I downloaded and bought the armor ingame from rhossan at the fighting chance. When I put the armor on It was invisible all I could see was my face and my hair was gone so I went to get a cape and I couldn't see it either so I went to check my rar file and all the meshes were there but the textures were gone and I did not even play with them. The only thing I know is it had to do with my rar file bit packer or whatever. Please Reply! Please! I am also going to sleep so your answers will not be replied till morning after 10:00 am. But please do reply I need the help! Please!

OK - firstly, don't panic.

The probability is that you have either (a) fallen foul of the Windows Vista/7 UAC which has stopped the mod installing fully, (b) unpacked files to the wrong place somehow, or © may need to set up Archive Invalidation if you have not already been modding. Alternatively you may be missing a pre-requisite file - maybe it uses the textures from something else. Double-check the readme file.

If you are not missing a pre-requisite file, then please post the following information:

(1) Oblivion source - GOTY disc/Steam/Impulse/D2D/whatever.

(2) Additional installs (Shivering Isles/Knights of the Nine/Official DLCs).

(3) Game version number (starting screen, bottom left-hand corner).

(4) Unofficial patches applied, if any.

(5) Operating system version, and installation directory for Oblivion.

(6) Any Oblivion game utilities you may have installed, such as BOSS, OBMM, OBSE, etc.

(7) Link to the download location for the mod.

All of that information MAY be relevant, so please post it carefully, then we can try and work out a step-by-step set of instructions to fix the problem.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

If you a running either Windows Vista or Windows 7 the location you installed the game is very important to getting mods to run. Both Vista and Win 7 use a Microsoft security feature called User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your machine from malware and viruses. Any programs, including games, that are installed in the folder C:\Program Files are protected by UAC from being changed. Unfortunately that's what mods need to do to Oblivion. If you used the default location when you installed Oblivion then your game will be installed in C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion and UAC will interfere with mods. The solution is to uninstall Oblivion and then re-install it into a folder outside of Program Files (most commonly suggested is create a folder C:\Games\Oblivion, which can be done during installation). One of the moderators here, bben46 has posted this unistall/re-install guide to help get a proper and complete job done of it. Edited by Striker879

(5) Operating system version, and installation directory for Oblivion.

This means are you using Win7, Vista or WinXP, and where did you install the game? Either default location - OK for WinXP - NOT OK for Vista or Win7.

Default location is in the program files folder which Vista and Win7 have extra special added protection -called UAC or User Access Control (that is not needed on games) it prevents changes to any programs installed there, and it thinks mods are changes - so it blocks them without bothering to tell you.

Just moving the game will not work and will actually cause more problems. Using the uninstall on the disk does not remove everything and may cause problems when you try to reinstall. :confused:

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=240

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

I downloaded and double-checked the mod file from the site - the textures are included - they should install to Oblivion/Data/Textures/Armor/Tyrael Armor/. There are a total of 12 .dds files which should be at that location.