Her Clockwork Heart

CTRLALTDETH

Then you have the same problem as me mate.

Thing is, everyone has left oblivion because it came out in 2006. I only started playing it in 2010, so I've had plenty of time to enjoy all the mods out there. Skyrim coming out might bring some people back to Oblivion in anticipation of Skyrim, but when it comes out even I'm getting xbox version, my ancient pc won't be able to handle Skyrim.

Long story short, we're all too late. If you still play Skyrim on PC, good luck for any projects you have, maybe when I get a decent pc I'll be able to enjoy your work :)

I don't think either of you need to worry. Morrowind has been out for several more years than Oblivion, and still has an active modding community. Just be a little patient. All the time the project is being actively discussed, it'll show up on the first page of the "mod request" forum so people who may only visit once a month or so will still see it.

If you want some idea of how long a project takes to get going, take a look at the posts in the Proper Khajiit & Argonian Bodyshapes & Animations thread, and see how long it was before people stopped talking and started working - then remember that some of them were already working on similar stuff.

My suggestion is - flesh out the mod more. In note form, identify where the various parts of the mod are based, what additions are needed to existing structures and loot, which existing NPCs would be modified to give information triggering the quest, how many new NPCs and monsters are needed and where they are, etc. By breaking it down, you may be able to get modders to work on individual parts of the mod rather than being frightened off by the size of the whole mod.

One point to work on and ask around about - you suggested a view of a "clockwork heart" visible in the companion's chest. IF you create a custom animated skin texture for the companion (Flame atronachs use one so I hope a companion can), you may be able to make it look as if they have animated cogs and gears and lights inside them :) Think of the effect of Data's head in Star Trek: First Contact.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Morrowind says hi.

CTRLALTDETH, you need to realize something; Elder Scrolls games have a ridiculous amount of staying power. Not even a sequel can kill an installment. Oblivion's out and Morrowind's still doing pretty good. There's no point in admitting defeat due to an installment as even after Skyrim comes out, Oblivion will keep going. So don't be afraid to give it a shot.

It may not be "modders are abandoning Oblivion," but "modders prefer to tell their own stories." No matter how great one person's idea may sound, it may just not be enough for someone else to commit weeks or even months of their own time... especially when they could be using that time for their own projects.

Hey,

That's one nice idea you have there. Classic too. I've been thinking to incorporate something similar to a mod I am planning, but I still don't have permissions to use all the races I consider "essential" for it. Without them, I might as well just learn how to mod better (despite the differences that Skyrim's cs will obviously have from Oblivion's, I know that once you've learned one you learned them all) and wait for Skyrim to come out. Then, I might be the one to create such races. :biggrin:

Unfortunately I can't help you, because I am developing my own (quite similar) idea, and I honestly don't think I can pull something like that up. The only things I've ever done are simple stuff (though I am ambitious when developing the mod).

We'll see if I ever get my own mod going, but I sure hope you get yours.

Also, just my two cents, there *should* be a happy ending if you want to actually have players replay it; I know that, once I complete a mod, I like to have something to remember it by... And if you make a happy ending, you'll obviously have to make her an available companion permanently. It's just my preference, but really if a mod makes me feel worse about myself I just don't play it (and yeah, your description allowed me to imagine a scenario where I would definitely feel wretched).

Again, just my two cents, I just like to have a choice for a good ending - something like Ogre Battles: March of the Black Queen, where you could get hanged or have a bad empire and get killed if you did things wrong, or you could get to be the most successful hero ever if you did it right.

It's all about the choices, but if you do add a happy end, make sure the player has to do *everything* in his power to get it, and do it willingly (Something like the World ending in Ogre Battles. Look here see a list of everything you have to do... You'll understand why it's harder/longer) I am not saying you should recruit the help of many others, but rather do things like share loot equally/give her a bigger share, always be nice when you converse with her and care for her, make sure her gear is repaired etc. Something like your real-life girlfriend would want you to do for her, it only makes sense right?

Good luck with getting your mod going, and see you on the forums,

Sleepypanda

This mod has potential. I love the sound of it, plus everyone loves quest-based mods. You drew me into the story with a 2 paragraph description :L

Definitely something I will watch :)

I'm glad that my flavorful vocabulary succeeded in enrapturing you.

Now your just showing off :P

Wow, I really like the idea of this story. Plus, multiple endings is always good.

Even before I read this, I thought of the same sort of companion storyline where the companion dies, and you go on to revive them. With this mod here, it could be possible that after you have resurrected the companion, you can do other things to return her to her proper 'living' form. Some examples could be

-Ask for aid from mages to help restore her body to the time before she died.

-Gain the help of the Dreamworld amulet and modify it in order to explore the companion's heart, and attempt to find the companion's love/soul. If correctly done, it will restore her, but if done wrong, possibly kill her.

-Use necromancy to transfer the life of another person in order to revive her. If the person you sacrificed was somehow related to the companion, she could doubt your ability to reason, doubt herself or even suicide. (Tough ending...)

-Sacrifice yourself in the necromancy, and your companion could try some of the above on you.

Wow, I really like the idea of this story. Plus, multiple endings is always good.

Even before I read this, I thought of the same sort of companion storyline where the companion dies, and you go on to revive them. With this mod here, it could be possible that after you have resurrected the companion, you can do other things to return her to her proper 'living' form. Some examples could be

-Ask for aid from mages to help restore her body to the time before she died.

-Gain the help of the Dreamworld amulet and modify it in order to explore the companion's heart, and attempt to find the companion's love/soul. If correctly done, it will restore her, but if done wrong, possibly kill her.

-Use necromancy to transfer the life of another person in order to revive her. If the person you sacrificed was somehow related to the companion, she could doubt your ability to reason, doubt herself or even suicide. (Tough ending...)

-Sacrifice yourself in the necromancy, and your companion could try some of the above on you.

I like those ideas...

There is, of course, a twist - if your companion is evil, then maybe sacrificing her relatives is a bonus?

The killing yourself part definitely looks promising as a plot twist. Maybe that could follow up the killing someone else part, after she becomes horrified as a consequence?

getting killed sounds cool

but not many people want to end oblivion with some mod like this

Maybe you get brought back too. if you die and come back then you will understand her situation and you both work thru the problem