Creating Splash Screens

Sonja

I'm trying to make some splash screens for my personal use. If they turn out well, I may also post them. The thing is... I am really unfamiliar with Gimp, irfanview and Paint.net.. all of which I have been messing around with, but to no avail.

So far, I have tried saving them to 1024 by 1024 (though I hear you can also use 2048 by 2048), and I've converted them to TGA files... I've even worked out how to use the batch conversion function in Irfanview..

However, they simply show up white when I try them out.. Clearly, I am missing something obvious, but I don't have the foggiest idea what that is.

is some kind soul out there able to provide a step by step, designed for idiots, "how-to?"

EDIT: after looking at a couple of other threads I saw, I also tried changing the dimensions to 2048 by 1024.. and I viewed the properties of my existing plash screens, but that didn't do the job either...

EDIt 2

Nevermind, I figured it out.. I used Irfanview. In case anybody else wants to know how to proceed (since I hate coming across threads like this and the person doesn't explain how they fixed their issue :D)..

1) Open up the image with Irfanview

2) Under Options pull down menu, go to: Properties/Settings

3) Under Browsing Editing select: Set grid cell size - type 24. The whole thing should read 24 pixels, but you only type 24 into the box

5)Hit OK

6) under Image, Resize/Resample, set Width as 2048, and Height as 1024, you'll need to remove the tick from the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" in the box below. Make sure the DPI in the Box at the very bottom reads 24.

7) Hit OK

8 ) Go to the File pull down menu and hit "Save As"

9) Make sure that in the "save as type" box that "TGA True Vision Targa" is selected.

10) I read somewhere that you need a naming system that is something like: "Splash_01.TGA. However, I don't know how critical that is, since I have downloaded splash screens that use more descriptive names.

Edited by Sonja