Sound card causes crash on startup! Help appreciated!

Tobleroon

Hey everyone. I recently got Oblivion on Steam, the launcher runs fine and when I hit play it will either show me the intro titles and than stay on a black screen or just crash. I disabled my sound card (Conexant 20671 SmartAudio HD) and It runs fine, but with no sound.

Does anyone know why the sound card is causing these problems/how to fix it?

Thanks in advance, I was an avid player on the 360 and was really looking forward to some PC fun!

Try deleting your oblivion.ini and let the game redetect your hardware. The file you want to delete will NOT be the one found in your game install directory. That one wil be named oblivion_default.ini and is the file that the game uses to rebuild oblivion.ini. The place you'll find it is in the Oblivion subdirectory in your \Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion for Win XP or Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion in Vista and Win 7.

Track down a cheap Soundblaster card - the SoundBlaster range is near enough a gaming standard that it should be the best choice unless you have a specific reason to use a different one