Exterme Low FPS in Oblivion, need help :( .

DevilRoom

Hey guys, I hope you're all doing well :)

anyway I bought this game from steam 3-4 days ago, and I have this problem that is making me hate the game, every time i play the game is start with 60 FPS with Vsync is on , but if there is an enemy or a friendly character the game start to lose fps ! I swear it got around 7 when I talked to the emperor ! and with the rat enemy the fps dropped from 60 to 15 ! but if there wasn't any enemy the game works great with 60 fps .

I tried the game on Low Medium and High , nothing worked for me :( , also the res is 1920×1080 .

my system spec:

I5-760 overclocked to 3,80Ghz

Motherboard: H55M-USB3

Video card: ATI HD 5770

RAM: 4 gigs

PSU: 550

also I'm sure my system is good and up to date, all of my games work great for me, BC2 and Duke Nukem I get 60 fps without a problem .

help?

Edited by DevilRoom

You might find this guide helpful. It helped me a bit.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

Just speaking for myself, I don't really notice much difference until my fps drops close or into single digits. As long as it stays in the 15+ range everything seems fine. Indoors, of coure, I typically get much higher fps than outdoors. Cities are the worst (especially Leyawiin and Bravil, for me). Tweaking the grass setting in the .ini helped some outside. Of course, if I were playing a shooter then I'd be more concerned with maintaining a higher fps, but Oblivion combat just doesn't demand the same precision.

In a nutshell, I'd say not to expect or demand the same fps as you would from Duke Nukem. Very different styles of play and you'll enjoy yourself more by not stressing out over that little number in the right-hand corner. ;)

Install the Quiet Feet mod - it is surprising how often the fact the CPU is busy sorting feet out can clobber the graphics. And I'm NOT joking! If it doesn't work, take it back out again. Alternatively try the silent feet setting in Wrye Bash when building your bashed patch. Edited by MarkInMKUK

thanks guys for helping :) .

also the mods for some reason didn't work! it can't be installed !

anyway i fixed it !!!!!!!!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1200403.html

If you are getting this music error, do not fear! Your computer is probably just using a CODEC to play MP3 files that Morrowind cannot use (Morrowind is pretty picky about this).

First, make sure Windows Media Player is your default playback application for MP3 files (Morrowind needs this). Right-click any MP3 file (Morrowind's are located in C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files\Music\...) and select "Open with", click "Choose program", choose Windows Media Player from the list, check the box "Always use the selected program," then click OK.

The following two paragraphs are for Windows XP users only - If the previous suggestion doesn't correct your problem, then download Nightmare's CODEC Reset Utility, extract it (DON'T FORGET TO EXTRACT IT!), and run the file "MP3FIX.BAT."

weird huh ? :O

now i get 60 FPS without any problems , I'm happy now :) .

Edited by DevilRoom

• 2 years later...

This might also help:

If you are experiencing Choppy or slow framerates It might be because your page file management is set too low.

WHAT THE PAGE FILE IS.

Your page file is the file that tells programs how much memory they can use in one sitting. Oblivion requires at least 2GB of memory. if you have set this lower than the required amount then this might be your problem.

HOW TO CHANGE IT.

To change you Page File Management, go to:

1. Start, Right Click "My Computer" and click properties.

2. Next go to the "Advanced System Properties Section"

3. When the window pops up, in the performance section click the settings button.

4. First you will be in a pane that says "Visual Effects", Ignore this and click the Advanced Tab.

5. In the Advanced Tab Clear the "Automatically Manage Page File" check box (or something that says that)

6. Check the "Customize size" Button.

7. Finally Input your settings (They will say "Initial size" and "Maximum size" In MB's) that you want, or Put in the Settings that Oblivion Needs to Run.

PS: It is lmportant that you restart your computer If you lower the settings, but no restart is needed if you raise the settings. (But just in case, do it anyways)

I hope this helps you. Good Luck!