Ban Content

hadoumastery

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a list or a warning when modders release content that may get them a ban?

• Yes, we should get a warning when releasing content or 3 days notice to take it down before a ban.
    • There should be a list that is easy to find that lets you know what content earns a ban.
    • No, it should stay as it is now.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no objection to the pulling of peoples files by the mods and from what I've seen in my short time here they sem to be doing a pretty good job, but I do wonder that a ban is the sentence for any infringement without the person having a chance to reply, explain themselves or rectify any issue the site has with their content. A suspension would seem more applicable to me. It seems a bit like the gov sentencing the electric chair for any crime committed and then saying we'll resucitate you if you can convince us you won't be naughty again :)

I feel a bit paranoid that I could loose my account too easily by accident if someone decided that one of my scripts looked like it had parts of someone else's scripts, even if they were being used for completely different things.

Edited by ozziefire

I wouldn't worry about scripts at all, unless you're literally copy-pasting, as scripts are inevitably going to look similar. And I think the staff's response to my earlier post was basically stating that they use common sense in judging these cases, and thus I imagine mod authors have the chance to respond. Should the punishment be less severe, though? I don't know, or care. It's up to the site's owner to decide, really, and this is the level of response they think is valid. It's understandable as this website may have previously come under fire for hosting copyright content, and this policy has, in the past, removed a website's legal liability in this regard.

I have no objection to the pulling of peoples files by the mods and from what I've seen in my short time here they sem to be doing a pretty good job, but I do wonder that a ban is the sentence for any infringement without the person having a chance to reply, explain themselves or rectify any issue the site has with their content. A suspension would seem more applicable to me. It seems a bit like the gov sentencing the electric chair for any crime crime committed and then saying we'll resucitate you if you can convince us you won't be naughty again :)

Indeed it seems like that to me somewhat, unless the person is like toxa who I saw just recently got banned again.

I have no objection to the pulling of peoples files by the mods and from what I've seen in my short time here they sem to be doing a pretty good job, but I do wonder that a ban is the sentence for any infringement without the person having a chance to reply, explain themselves or rectify any issue the site has with their content. A suspension would seem more applicable to me. It seems a bit like the gov sentencing the electric chair for any crime crime committed and then saying we'll resucitate you if you can convince us you won't be naughty again :)

Indeed it seems like that to me somewhat, unless the person is like toxa who I saw just recently got banned again.

I guess if they had been suspended multiple times most others would know who they are and be dubious of their mods, but because they get banned and start a new account the mods may know but we don't realise who the multiple offenders are.

Hand holding was never the intention of this discussion. But, making it easier to recognize rip-artists, or knowing what content is bad for you to upload, that is what the discussion was meant for.

Recognizing rips is harder than it sounds. Yes, some do purposely seem to beat you over the head with "This was taken from such and such game and converted for this game", but many others hide the fact that their content is ripped, even long after shown comparison images.

Best advice... If the item you are wanting to use resembles anything from any other game (nearly all polygon based games can be ripped), You check it yourself (or ask an impartial person who knows how to look at models and textures) before accepting the word of someone else. Kinda... common sense. Even a reproduction, if done too close to the original, can be treated as a rip solely because there is no real way to tell the two apart. It's not fair, it's not perfect, but I would remind you that any corporate lawsuit levied against this site for copyright infractions, even if unfounded, would probably lead to this site being closed down. We value having a thriving and enriching mod community over your ability to have a perfect replica (down to how the mesh is faceted) of a portal gun for Fallout, many apologies. So far though, there have been quite few cases (less than 1%) (and usually resulting in an instant reinstatement with a firm apology) where we removed content which was not infact ripped or partially ripped from another game, so clearly our methods and policies are appropriate.

Well, I don't mean it's not a good system. I just think it should be something easier to recognize by some method or another.

-And just to say, not all modders are so friendly as to check things for you. Most of the time they have something more important to do, or just don't want to do it.

Edited by hadoumastery

Well, I don't mean it's not a good system. I just think it should be something easier to recognize by some method or another.

-And just to say, not all modders are so friendly as to check things for you. Most of the time they have something more important to do, or just don't want to do it.

If in doubt just dont use it, thats all the advice anyone can really give you. Personally I am VERY uneasy about useing anything other then edited Vanilla meshes, only time I normally use them is when changing the body they are fitted to... and even then I try and find WIP threads in other forums to see if the modder really made them. Try to make it yourself instead of useing what someone else made, it may not be as nice or as accurate but at least then you will know you have nothing to fear.