ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Realism mod

avianmosquito

Well, who knows, maybe I'll help out later. But still, feel free to ask me any questions you think I can answer, I can at least help by explaining certain geck functions or NIFSkope for you.

Well, if you (or anyone else reading this) could lay out a bleed script for me, that would be great.

Step by step: (I don't know the functions, that's the thing holding me back, and there might be a glaring flaw in there somewhere.)

It needs to detect limb damage done, and multiply this limb damage by a modifier based on the weapon type. (We'll use X for now.)

It needs to take that number, and subtract that from health. (I already know that function, so it's not hard.)

If it's less than one, it needs to carry over until it can do damage. (I know you can't do partial damage in the gamebyro engine, so that's a necessity.)

It needs to repeat at a set interval, which needs to a floating point number instead of an integer. (Like 0.6 or 1.2.)

It needs to repeat 1,000 times and end. (Maybe a counter could be used for this?)

Finally, it needs to stack, so multiple hits will cause this script to run multiple times. (No clue how to do this one.)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't be able to get the level of realism you desire, such that it'll be the most realistic game ever, bar none, but you can go pretty far thankfully. Try checking out Arwen's realism mods for some guidance, and you'll definitely need to learn to script. I know Project Nevada has some scripting regarding specific body parts in combat (namely the head), but I've never looked at it to see how it ticked. It's another idea, though.

Most realistic game ever, bar none, might sound like a lot, but given that nobody has ever made a game even remotely realistic before, that's not really much of an achievement.

EDIT:

Although that's not really fair to game makers. Most of them are misinformed and pressured into making unrealistic games by the public, so it's not like they're stupid or purposefully making unrealistic games. (For the most part, at least.)

Edited by avianmosquito

If it needs to be carried over multiple hits and needs to be a continuous effect based on how many times you actually got hit by a bullet. Then take a look at cazador venom it's a good place to start.

As for everything else, like I said, just ask the question (be sure to describe the details of it) and I'll do my best to answer.

If it needs to be carried over multiple hits and needs to be a continuous effect based on how many times you actually got hit by a bullet. Then take a look at cazador venom it's a good place to start.

As for everything else, like I said, just ask the question (be sure to describe the details of it) and I'll do my best to answer.

I'm waiting for the GECK to start up, but I suspect that Cazador venom is not a script effect all the way through.

EDIT:

Great. Steam decided to delete half of my games. Now I have to redownload New Vegas and all of the downloads. This is why I hate Steam.

Edited by avianmosquito

I'm waiting for the GECK to start up, but I suspect that Cazador venom is not a script effect all the way through.

EDIT:

Great. Steam decided to delete half of my games. Now I have to redownload New Vegas and all of the downloads. This is why I hate Steam.

No it's not, I just meant that it's a good place to start your search.

EDIT:

No it's not, I just meant that it's a good place to start your search.

Yes, although I really just need to know what functions to enter for each step. I can't do anything right now anyway, I need to wait for all the patches to redownload, and that's going to be a while. It's 2:30 where I am, so I'm just going to call it a night.

Well, the bleed would have to be a multiple of limb damage, and I would need a way to eliminate the initial damage done by a weapon.

Why? A bullet is not like a stab wound, the projectile doesn't cleanly slice through someone when it hits them, it smashes a path through and also creates a pressure 'bubble' in the wound. This bubble - if the round is big/lucky enough - causes a sudden spike in blood pressure as it squeezes the nearby tissue and blood vessels, causing hemorrhaging in soft tissue, like the brain. Now having thousands of mini-strokes will ruin your day, instantly and permanently.

Aptly named 'terminal ballistics' are not a nice topic, but if you really want realism you're going to have to account for these affects too.

Well, the bleed would have to be a multiple of limb damage, and I would need a way to eliminate the initial damage done by a weapon.

Why? A bullet is not like a stab wound, the projectile doesn't cleanly slice through someone when it hits them, it smashes a path through and also creates a pressure 'bubble' in the wound. This bubble - if the round is big/lucky enough - causes a sudden spike in blood pressure as it squeezes the nearby tissue and blood vessels, causing hemorrhaging in soft tissue, like the brain. Now having thousands of mini-strokes will ruin your day, instantly and permanently.

Aptly named 'terminal ballistics' are not a nice topic, but if you really want realism you're going to have to account for these affects too.

Except it doesn't.

1. Hydrostatic shock has been proven NOT to exist time and time again, quit clinging to it.

2. The temporary wound channel is just a concussive shockwave, like that you get from any impact. It's also EXTREMELY weak, and despite its impressive appearance, all that warping barely leaves a bruise. Hell, it doesn't even hurt. The only thing that matters is leaving a hole in your target, because they aren't dying any other way. And they aren't dying quickly, either. Even if you have entire limbs blown off, you take several minutes to die of blood loss.

3. The brain is much more durable than people think it is. People regularly get shot in the head and survive. Do a quick search, you can find people impaled through the head, shot repeatedly through brain tissue, and even some that have had entire sections of their brain cut out. Hell, Simo Hayha was shot in the head with an expanding round from an anti-material rifle and still killed the man that shot him before passing out, and to top that off, he survived. If that isn't neccesarily a kill, what makes you think slightly higher blood pressure for a couple milliseconds will do anything at all?

You don't know what you're talking about, give it up.

EDIT:

Sorry if I come off as rude, I'll tell you what. When you've soaked up as many bullets as I have, I'll be glad to hear your opinion.

EDIT:

Oh, and by the way, knife wounds are by far deadlier than similar sized gunshot wounds because they bleed more and bleed faster. So no, your example is invalid. Further, knives actually have a cuncussive effect as well, and when somebody is stabbed you can see a shockwave similar to that of a gunshot wound, but MUCH larger. And it breaks your bones because it has a fist backing it, which a bullet doesn't. So not only do you not understand gunshot wounds, you also don't understand knife wounds.

Edited by avianmosquito

Except it doesn't.

1. Hydrostatic shock has been proven NOT to exist time and time again, quit clinging to it.

2. The temporary wound channel is just a concussive shockwave, like that you get from any impact. It's also EXTREMELY weak, and despite its impressive appearance, all that warping barely leaves a bruise. Hell, it doesn't even hurt. The only thing that matters is leaving a hole in your target, because they aren't dying any other way. And they aren't dying quickly, either. Even if you have entire limbs blown off, you take several minutes to die of blood loss.

3. The brain is much more durable than people think it is. People regularly get shot in the head and survive. Do a quick search, you can find people impaled through the head, shot repeatedly through brain tissue, and even some that have had entire sections of their brain cut out. Hell, Simo Hayha was shot in the head with an expanding round from an anti-material rifle and still killed the man that shot him before passing out, and to top that off, he survived. If that isn't neccesarily a kill, what makes you think slightly higher blood pressure for a couple milliseconds will do anything at all?

You don't know what you're talking about, give it up.

EDIT:

Sorry if I come off as rude, I'll tell you what. When you've soaked up as many bullets as I have, I'll be glad to hear your opinion.

EDIT:

Oh, and by the way, knife wounds are by far deadlier than similar sized gunshot wounds because they bleed more and bleed faster. So no, your example is invalid. Further, knives actually have a cuncussive effect as well, and when somebody is stabbed you can see a shockwave similar to that of a gunshot wound, but MUCH larger. And it breaks your bones because it has a fist backing it, which a bullet doesn't. So not only do you not understand gunshot wounds, you also don't understand knife wounds.

If you were wondering, yes, that came off a bit rude lol but not many people know what too much about realistics in the ways of bullets and knives, but yeah, a melee weapon is usually more deadly than a ranged weapon, but the ranged weapon such as a gun excels for one reason, and that is the range it offers so you don't have to be close to the other person. Now in NV melee weapons are scaled down for a reason. And that reason is that enemies can take a ton of bullets and get close enough to use those melee weapons easily, but if not for that, I have no doubt melee would be deadlier in NV.

If you were wondering, yes, that came off a bit rude lol

I'm sorry, but I just can't stand it when people run their mouths off when they don't know what they're talking about.

but yeah, a melee weapon is usually more deadly than a ranged weapon, but the ranged weapon such as a gun excels for one reason, and that is the range it offers so you don't have to be close to the other person. Now in NV melee weapons are scaled down for a reason. And that reason is that enemies can take a ton of bullets and get close enough to use those melee weapons easily, but if not for that, I have no doubt melee would be deadlier in NV.

I aim to eliminate that difficulty. Ranged combat will take longer than melee combat, and you're more likely to be injured, but you're also more likely to survive, and you aren't risking a massive, unsurvivable sword wound.