Best Unrecognized Oblivion Mods. Tell me yours.

Bongu

There are many great mods out there that get lots of well earned praise, but then there are those mods that are really great but go under the radar.

I want to bring those mods to light.

I will start off my listing one mod.

You tell me at least one you have in mind, I will edit the main post and include it if I think it's a must have that is not very famous.

First off:

Tweaks and Enhancements.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=26689

This mod is really great and does what the name says. Installation is easy via .omod. Give it a try.

Tempus Fugit Ring

Abot did mostly Morrowind mods, but this is one that made it to Oblivion as well.

While its effect can also be achieved through a commonly-known console command, this item is excellent for players who want to alter the timescale easily from in-game.

Ever spend 10 minutes moving a pile of items from your inventory into various containers in your player owned house - change that to under 10 seconds with this.

Art of Speedy Depositing by Wolfhound2 http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9835

This is especially helpful when you use a bag of holding or other mod that allows a lot of loot to be carried.

One of my own mods actually: Stealth Wars. It basically adds in an assassination guild that hunts you down no matter where you are, and each fight is a mini-boss battle. You also have a chance at seeing them sneaking up on you before they strike, allowing you to get the first hit. There's even a chance for a pair of them or even a small group that hunts you. Beware though, I consider it end-game content.

Actually, I'd consider about half my mods unrecognized good ones. :biggrin:

Another that comes to mind that is not mine is Assasins Rush by paladicprince. It adds a spell that will teleport you to your target. Perfect for getting into close range at once or when you're attempting a sneak attack.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

I like M.O.E. - Alternative Script Effect Icon I. It gets rid of that stupid burden symbol that is used on all of the really unique spell effects. Script effects use a new symbol that looks like a piece of parchment. The burden spell effect still uses the burden symbol.

Does it count as unrecognized if you're personally constantly endorsing it. I'm of course referring to Integration: The Stranded Light. You 'll probably see it talked about all over the place, but it's usually some loser guy with either JC, or Phoenix in his name. :whistling:

It's not very well known due to a number of reasons, none of them having to do with the mod's quality.

1: It requires Shivering Isles and two overhaul mods

2: it's not flashy, or full of combat scenes, and pretty new meshes/textures.

3: it's author is pretty respected as a modder, but usually goes against popular opinion, and can seem kind of a black horse at times.

4: Some poor media/advertising situations. Supposedly a lot of the early media, and pictures of the characters makes them appear anime-like... despite the fact that they weren't made to look that way, and they don't act anything like cliched 1 dimensional characters.

I'm an original beta tester for the mod, and I've stuck with it over the years. ( coming up on third year anniversary of the first public release, and a somewhat final update is still in the works)

I know a lot of this seems like senseless rambling, but it is important. Just telling people that a mod is under appreciated, and that they should give it a shot isn't really enough. You also need to recognize why a mod is under-appreciated, and under valued by the people who view it, then make efforts to remove this stigmata. If you're interested in my own personal attempts, theories, and tactics for how to overcome some issues like this then read the spoilered part below:

For instance, the update coming out soon will remove the two mod requirements making it where all you need is Shivering Isles and the vanilla game; and no unnecessary gameplay changes will be made; so essentially it'll be just like installing and using most other quest mods. As such I have to find a way to get people who avoided the mod due to its requirements to take a second look and see that, that is no longer the case....

One way I've thought of doing this is a bit of deceptive marketing. Make a release topic about some awesome new quest mod... same basic description, idea, etc., but new name and different ways of describing things... Also new media would be good too, in order to negate #4 on the above list. But of course, the ESP name would remain the same, so if you already have the mod and want to try this "new " mod you quickly realize, "Hey I already have this mod :)"... Of course that solution would have a number of kinks like people reporting bugs about how it has the same esp name as a 'different' mod and stuff like that. The scheme would have course be told in the release description, but people so rarely resort to actual reading these days. I'm still mulling it over.

Can't really do anything about number 2. I know I just talked about deceptive marketing, but that's like a good natured ribbing; the only way to resolve number 2 is if I actually all out lied and deceived like some mod authors do. I refuse to lie about a mod, it should stand on it's own merits not some fabricated exaggerations, and all out lies. Marketing tactics are fine, lying is not.

The third I already deal with a lot just by being the people person behind the mod. I help with tech support, and explaining any issues in a calm understanding manner. Though I won't say I'm a social butterfly- I do get kind of frustrated, elitist, and come off as a black horse often times as well. I honestly can't say which of us would be better at being the public image. The primary factor is I have tons of free time, a passion for the mod, and a passion for PR and advertising.

The fourth one would have to be handled similar to the first issue; replace the offending media with something else, of course I'm reluctant to do that because that borders on hiding, and lying about the mod. If I do make changes to the media I'll probably just make new media, and more appealing media at the top of the echelon, essentially just trying to make a better first impression, and mot actually burying anything.

Integration's publicity issues aside, after looking at some of the other mods mentioned in this topic two of them have a redundancy to overcome. Specifically the script effect replacer and the chest mod. In the case of redundancy a number of things can be done:

1: You can do it significantly better than the other mods that do it, or have unique features specific to your mod. (One example I can think of is TRN One of the Gang. There are many disguise mods out there, but One of the Gang focuses specifically on guard disguising and goes further in depth than the other ones) * Also it's a candidate for the list so maybe not the best example.*

2: Sell your idea better. Pretty media, gimmicks, community involvement, and sometimes just all out begging.

3:bundle up the redundant thing with something else and make it optional. the M.O.E. script effect icon replacer is a perfect example of this.

Personally when it comes to Icon replacers custom spell icons is king.... Which is also a candidate for this list... hell, I'd say most of statttis' mods are candidates.

Edited by JCP768

Does it count as unrecognized if you're personally constantly endorsing it. I'm of course referring to Integration: The Stranded Light. You 'll probably see it talked about all over the place, but it's usually some loser guy with either JC, or Phoenix in his name. :whistling:

It's not very well known due to a number of reasons, none of them having to do with the mod's quality.

1: It requires Shivering Isles and two overhaul mods

2: it's not flashy, or full of combat scenes, and pretty new meshes/textures.

3: it's author is pretty respected as a modder, but usually goes against popular opinion, and can seem kind of a black horse at times.

4: Some poor media/advertising situations. Supposedly a lot of the early media, and pictures of the characters makes them appear anime-like... despite the fact that they weren't made to look that way, and they don't act anything like cliched 1 dimensional characters.

I'm an original beta tester for the mod, and I've stuck with it over the years. ( coming up on third year anniversary of the first public release, and a somewhat final update is still in the works)

I know a lot of this seems like senseless rambling, but it is important. Just telling people that a mod is under appreciated, and that they should give it a shot isn't really enough. You also need to recognize why a mod is under-appreciated, and under valued by the people who view it, then make efforts to remove this stigmata. If you're interested in my own personal attempts, theories, and tactics for how to overcome some issues like this then read the spoilered part below:

For instance, the update coming out soon will remove the two mod requirements making it where all you need is Shivering Isles and the vanilla game; and no unnecessary gameplay changes will be made; so essentially it'll be just like installing and using most other quest mods. As such I have to find a way to get people who avoided the mod due to its requirements to take a second look and see that, that is no longer the case....

One way I've thought of doing this is a bit of deceptive marketing. Make a release topic about some awesome new quest mod... same basic description, idea, etc., but new name and different ways of describing things... Also new media would be good too, in order to negate #4 on the above list. But of course, the ESP name would remain the same, so if you already have the mod and want to try this "new " mod you quickly realize, "Hey I already have this mod :)"... Of course that solution would have a number of kinks like people reporting bugs about how it has the same esp name as a 'different' mod and stuff like that. The scheme would have course be told in the release description, but people so rarely resort to actual reading these days. I'm still mulling it over.

Can't really do anything about number 2. I know I just talked about deceptive marketing, but that's like a good natured ribbing; the only way to resolve number 2 is if I actually all out lied and deceived like some mod authors do. I refuse to lie about a mod, it should stand on it's own merits not some fabricated exaggerations, and all out lies. Marketing tactics are fine, lying is not.

The third I already deal with a lot just by being the people person behind the mod. I help with tech support, and explaining any issues in a calm understanding manner. Though I won't say I'm a social butterfly- I do get kind of frustrated, elitist, and come off as a black horse often times as well. I honestly can't say which of us would be better at being the public image. The primary factor is I have tons of free time, a passion for the mod, and a passion for PR and advertising.

The fourth one would have to be handled similar to the first issue; replace the offending media with something else, of course I'm reluctant to do that because that borders on hiding, and lying about the mod. If I do make changes to the media I'll probably just make new media, and more appealing media at the top of the echelon, essentially just trying to make a better first impression, and mot actually burying anything.

Integration's publicity issues aside, after looking at some of the other mods mentioned in this topic two of them have a redundancy to overcome. Specifically the script effect replacer and the chest mod. In the case of redundancy a number of things can be done:

1: You can do it significantly better than the other mods that do it, or have unique features specific to your mod. (One example I can think of is TRN One of the Gang. There are many disguise mods out there, but One of the Gang focuses specifically on guard disguising and goes further in depth than the other ones) * Also it's a candidate for the list so maybe not the best example.*

2: Sell your idea better. Pretty media, gimmicks, community involvement, and sometimes just all out begging.

3:bundle up the redundant thing with something else and make it optional. the M.O.E. script effect icon replacer is a perfect example of this.

Personally when it comes to Icon replacers custom spell icons is king.... Which is also a candidate for this list... hell, I'd say most of statttis' mods are candidates.

I think Integration is pretty well known though. Looked like a nice mod, but there was something about it I didn't like. Either it was a mod confliction or it changed something I didn't like. I don't remember.

The custom spell icons are pretty neat.

*snip*

Yeah, but that's probably at least partially due to my efforts. If it wasn't for me it'd probably wouldn't be known very much. It's presence basically only exists on the German site theelderscrolls.info, and bethsoft forums. It has a tesnexus page, but without ratings, downloads, or comments enabled it's hard to find it through usual means (sorting the files by highest downloads/endorsements to lowest. Even with it being well known the requirements, and the media issue seem to limit the actuial players. Speaking of which:

Testers are needed for a No requirements, No gameplay changes version.

Details can be found here

Anyone interested can PM me, bg2408, or post in the Integration topic.

If it was a LAME orRBP thing you didn't like could you try that out? Also if it was a conflict or something it changed I'd like to know what that was then. PM me it or post it in the Integration topic on bethsoft (don't want to diverge the topic further.)

On topic:

There's a similar topic like this here. That one isn't really a list though.

*snip*

Yeah, but that's probably at least partially due to my efforts. If it wasn't for me it'd probably wouldn't be known very much. It's presence basically only exists on the German site theelderscrolls.info, and bethsoft forums. It has a tesnexus page, but without ratings, downloads, or comments enabled it's hard to find it through usual means (sorting the files by highest downloads/endorsements to lowest. Even with it being well known the requirements, and the media issue seem to limit the actuial players. Speaking of which:

Testers are needed for a No requirements, No gameplay changes version.

Details can be found here

Anyone interested can PM me, bg2408, or post in the Integration topic.

If it was a LAME orRBP thing you didn't like could you try that out? Also if it was a conflict or something it changed I'd like to know what that was then. PM me it or post it in the Integration topic on bethsoft (don't want to diverge the topic further.)

On topic:

There's a similar topic like this here. That one isn't really a list though.

I think it might've been the RBP thing.