Horses and Shields

Krutz

New Vegas has such a western feel to it, except its lacking horses or transportation in general. Another suggestion is shields, made out of wasteland scraps, like a garbage can lid, or a car door. Oblivion has shield for melee combat, why not Fallout.

Ok... the reason oblivion has shields and not fallout - Fallout is hardcoded to not have shields, while oblivion is hardcoded to have shields.

Horses - Many people have requested this, but not many can make it, and even those who can, are unable to share it because of one simple reason, copyright, you cannot post a mod for fallout based on content from oblivion or any other game that has copyright issues on their stuff. Unless bethesda decides to make it in the next DLC or releases a statement about it allowing the use of it, then it's just not going to happen.

Ok... the reason oblivion has shields and not fallout - Fallout is hardcoded to not have shields, while oblivion is hardcoded to have shields.

Horses - Many people have requested this, but not many can make it, and even those who can, are unable to share it because of one simple reason, copyright, you cannot post a mod for fallout based on content from oblivion or any other game that has copyright issues on their stuff. Unless bethesda decides to make it in the next DLC or releases a statement about it allowing the use of it, then it's just not going to happen.

I'd like to see camels myself :)

The problem with shields, way I see it, is

1. the lack of animations for it

2. that you have a PipBoy on the left arm

The former could somewhat be mitgated by making smaller shields so they don't clip through stuff as much while just hanging on the arm. The latter is the bigger problem, way I see it. I've actually made two models of Roman shields, but the only way I managed it was basically by making it a PipBoy with a shield. The problem is that if you ever just remove the shield, you're pretty much boned, as you don't have a PipBoy any more, so you can't even equip it right back.

Horses are possible if a modder was to create it from scratch. That means no porting from TES4 Oblivion or any other game. That way there will be no copyright issues. It's just as possible as a motorcycle mod made from scratch, which already exists.

The same goes for shields. So long as it's a separate function and not a replacement of anything. Although it will require some heavy coding. Animations are not a problem as you can simply grab free animation files from Google or create your own.

For a horse mod, you will need: A horse mesh(time-taking process), texture and skeleton. Basic control equations, animations and several containers. The shield is harder to create per se, because you will really need to mess with the game's mechanics. But other than that, mesh, texture, animations and you're good.

you should search Fallout 3 nexuxs there is abig mod wich gives raiders new clothing and shields made from roadsigns and stuff

dont remember the name of the mod but il search my harddrive it did have issues with clipping (arm getting throug the shield)

it was mainly a weapons mod with some overhaul

mabey someone at FO 3 nexus nows more

try their forum

hope this helps

Edited by bronco668

@Vondure:

Well, it would be easier if I could edit animations at all, but even the meshes and textures are enough of a pain in the rear for me :P

@bronco668:

Well, shields for NPCs is somewhat less of a problem, since they don't use PipBoys. A small enough shield wouldn't even clip through anything.

TGs armor mod has a roman style shield, i assume it takes up an armor slot somewhere, problem is it really only suits legion guys.

If we had some nifty retexturers around.. Yeah thats a word spellcheck shut up about it already.

The horse thing is interesting- you couldn't use Oblivion horse code, but you could go the motorcyle mod route and just make it look like you have a horse and increase your running speed. That was a lot easier for the bike though, because motorbikes don't have legs!

Theres a project floating somewhere around this site for a dune buggy and some motorcyles that you could drive around Vegas in.