Can people play Fallout New Vegas without Steam?

dree74

Is there a non-steam version that are not pirated copy?

one user said he cannot get 1.3 patch because he didn't purchase it via steam.

I don't know about the foreign copies of fallout new vegas. I was wondering if this is a possibility.

There are bunch of people who can't get my mod to work and it seems like they are using non-patched version of new vegas.

New Vegas only works through steam. Pity the poor pirates who stole the game and are now whining because it doesn't work. :whistling:

I bought a copy of New Vegas as a retail-shelf product from Amazon. However, the installation process on the DVD installs Steam and requires Steam for activation and play.

I do not know of any legal version of New Vegas that does not require Steam.

Sure, legal owners can find a crack to get around having Steam running every time they start the game but legal owners can also undo that crack and upgrade their version without a problem.

Those that cannot and say they have a non-steam version are likely using a pirated copy which does not come with a non-cracked version and thus cannot upgrade because the patch does not detect a valid game.

And with great sarcasm, I quote Mr T: "

"

LHammonds

I think the bigger pondering question would be....can I have my Steam account locked out (with all my games) if I used a crack to bypass Steam and they find out?

thanks for the heads up. so, apparently, I spent last 2 hours investigating how to help pirates.

I will push the report button from the comment section.

Edited by dree74

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i think using a non steam crack for NV on a legal version is illegal too. With this crack you change the game in a way which is forbidden by the legal rights, i think.

Sarah

I do hate the fact that you do need steam to Play NV, it takes forever to "activate|" and it also says that it is DOWNLOADING New Vegas when all the files are already on the disc.

I do not understand that, what is going on?

It took 6 GB of my Bandwith aswell. Some of us dont have unlimitied internet you know.

From this experience, I am VERY hesitant to buy any more games at all that require Steam to play.

I hope to the Big Spegetti Monster in the sky that Skyrim is Steam free.

After you have installed and activated New Vegas you can force Steam to go offline and it will be much faster to startup. That is almost always how I play. Even so, it is always irritatingly slow but not as bad in offline mode. You can also turn off auto updates, though in the past that has not always worked, so that feature sucks because you can't really depend on it. When I know a NV patch is coming within the week I usually start backing up stuff in my data folder and I slow down modding activity if I don't think current steps will be finished before the new engine arrives.