Falloutnv esm dissapeared

cavveman

I have put my Steam to not update Fallout NV. And yes i did right click on it and fixed it. Since I wanted to wait with the update until the dlc OWB got released so I could do a complete reinstall with the new patch and all.

So I thought that steam would not touch my Fallout game at all.

Yeah right. So in my surprise when I wanted to check something in geck today I got stumped. Where is FalloutNV.esm in the list. it was not there at all. And so wasn't Dead Money either. Also the nam file from the dead money was gone from the folder.

I was really confused :S

So I checked my antivirus and antispyware software to see if there have been a little mistake and it thought it was malware or something. Nothing in the quarantine, nothing in the logs indicating that the 2 esm files got deleted.

Ok, nothing there, made a complete search on the computer after those three files, nothing at all. Those files where just gone.

So the only conclusion I can come up with is that Steam somehow, I have no idea how. That when I played Black Ops it somehow must have deleted those files, cause Black Ops and Fallout NV are the only games I have installed with steam currently. Well, Fallout Nv was installed on my computer, I did a game cache search with steam as well, and it confirmed that the installation was not complete and started to download the files. I stopped it and uninstalled the rest of the files, gonna do a complete reinstall soon instead. The same goes with Black Ops, and the entire steam application just in case it is corrupted.

Possible that anyone could share some light on what could have happened?

That's a new one on me. However, the last two auto updates on my rig, for whatever reason, dropped FalloutNV.esm down deep into my load order and having so many mods (FNVEdit Master Updated) it took me a while to locate it and move it back to the top. (FOMM may need an update!)

[i've never trusted the Windows search feature.]

I can't shed light on in, but mine has screwed up in a similar way.

For me it was FalloutNV.exe that was missing.

Each time I verified cache files it would redownload, and then immediately delete it!

All other files were being updated OK. (ie, Following Beth's remove ini files advice).

On Steam, there was some advice about renaming the .blob file.

That doesn't help. It's even worse now.

It will 'verify' an empty install directory and tell me everything is up to date.

As you say, it may have to do with their app getting confused when other games are being downloaded.

I've just bought a few others in the Sale, and one was mid-download when FNV got the update.

oh. That sounds even more problematic then my experience. Well, lucky me that the download takes only 3 hours from steam...