Buying things for houses - modding questions

TheHavok

'sup guys!

Being the louse modder that I am, I'm currently facing some difficulties with creating a very straightforward mod. When we acquire a house we get the option to buy stuff for the house. Easy enough. What I wish to do is to add more stuff to be bough to a house. The problem is that I really don't know how to do this. Here's my questions in detail:

In the CS stuff that only appear when you buy the furniture at the vendor are marked as initially disabled, this much I understand. But I also have to do something with the parent reference in order to define what appears when I buy the thing. That's the part I don't know how to do.

And on the same subject, if I want to buy a division to the house instead of furniture do I apply the same principle? Or is there something more?

I'm experienced enough with the CS to figure it out once someone points me in the right direction, thus this thread. So I appeal to your magnanimous generosity so I can finally get this over with.

Best regards and thanks in advance.

Being generous on a scale incredibly miniscule, I am not sure whether this should prove to be of any help in the end, but the normal houses usually work this way (for example Battlehorn Castle, despite not actually being a normal house, but let's nevemind that :P):

• there is one reference of interest, usually initially disabled
  • all new furniture to either appear or disappear upon one purchase has that one reference set as their enable parent
  • if the furniture is to appear, it will have the "enable state opposite to parent" unticked
  • if the funriture is to disappear, it will have the "enable state opposite to parent" ticked
  • upon the purchase, the one parent reference (to which all others are linked) is enabled (or disabled) via a small script attached to, for example, a note that player buys from a vendor

It is also worth a note that apparently only the one parent ref needs to have "initially disabled" flag toggled on/off depending on the situation. The ones linked to it will follow its state automatically. That should save you some work. Or at least that is how I managed to make it work... The script attached to a note can be somethign really simple, like this (an object script on an object):

ScriptName MyFurnitureNoteScript

Begin OnAdd PlayerRef
MyFurnitureParentRef.Enable
End

It should be pretty obvious what it does, since you can read English. :P

Hopefully that helps a little. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for your reply, Contrathetix.

I managed to do it. I haven't fully explored this to the extent of my intentions, but I managed to create a wall that blocked the door to an area that is to be removed upon the purchase of a thing.

I've been wanting to make a mod centered around the idea of purchasing a big chunk of land and construct a small town and a castle in it, with walls, a mine, an harbour, an inn and a few stores, along with farms and such. I'm yet to learn how to do quests, but since I'm a very competent writer (as I write for a living) and a good enough builder on the CS, the scripting is truly the only obstacle to hinder the process. It doesn't help that a lot of tutorials and information have been lost over the years and pages disappeared.

Indeed. But the Construction Set Wiki is still there (though old links pointing there will not work anymore, and all images in the wiki seem to be broken). Then there are also these forums here (in case someone happens to have the time to answer), and also over at TES Alliance (not sure how populated the ones over there are, been a while since I last checked). And with some creativity, you can apply the interior object enable/disable procedure for exterior structures (buildings, rocks, etc). It is even possible to link navmesh points to references, so you can happily add buildings the same way you would add furniture, as long as you remember to have navmesh points linked properly. Or was it pathgrid in Oblivion? Anyway, the red, yellow and blue dots (yellow being auto-generated, red hand-placed and blue preferred/road/something). There was some key combination for linking pathgrid/navmesh points to refs, but I cannot remember at the moment. When G (I think it was) toggles pathgrid/navmesh in the editor, the "tpg" console command toggles it in-game so you can check if the changes are applied properly when you get that far.

There is, of course, the question of LOD: you can have distant buildings either on or off, there is no way to toggle them in-game (or at least one I would know of), which is a shame. But then again, that is only an issue for those who use RAEVWD or something similar.

Happy building! I like worldbuilding myself, too, but when the scale gets too large (which is about to happen with a project of mine), it starts to affect my motivation. Good to hear it is not an issue for you, because building will take time. Or maybe I am just so incredibly slow. :smile:

Edited by Contrathetix