Crash at "Elven maiden" quest

Sylwina

Hello there!

My Oblivion has started to crash 2 days ago, after I got to the point of the quest "Elven maiden" when all the Imperial watches run around the harbor.

I have several mods installed, but they never caused a problem, as far as I'm aware. After searching through several forums and trying to fix the problem, the game still keeps crashing.

I'm playing on a Dell Inspiron N5110, Windows 7 64-bit

The mods I have installed:

Greenacre Cave

Apachii's Goddess store

Bruma hunting lodge

Bruma basement

Bruma house

Enchantment mastery

Hidden elves

IC manor

Katanas Mod

KT_custom race fix

Lara's Katanas

Assassins Creed clothing

Reznod's mannequins

Safehouse

Shadowcrest Vineyard

UOP Vampire Aging & Face fix

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

Hopefully someone can help me,

thanks.

Sylwina

While the UESP Wiki for the Elven Maiden quest lists a number of quest bugs, the only one listed that leads to a crash is if you try doing An Unexpected Voyage at the same time as the Elven Maiden quest is active (a bug that was supposedly corrected by the 1.1.511 patch). Make sure your game is patched up to the latest 1.2.0.416 patch (version number shown at lower left on start-up screen).

First of all, thanks for the quick reply. I haven't started that quest, and I've also installed the latest patch and the Unofficial Oblivion patch - they're both supposed to fix that problem.

After trying to delete the .ini document, to make Oblivion create a new one, it still doesn't work. I manage to start my last save game, but then after about 8 seconds the game crashes. It also immediately crashes when I try to fast travel to another place, or try to swim/run out of the harbor.

Sylwina

Starting to sound like a corrupted save. Do you have a save from before the crashing started to see if it's related to the IC Waterfront area or the Elven Maiden quest? If you do go to the waterfront without starting that quest and see if you crash. If you don't try redoing the quest.

Drop the KT Custom Race Fix. It's included in the UOP. Also, could we see a load order, please? Definitely try rolling back to an earlier save and proceeding from there. It may be possible that the UOP's fixes were relevant earlier in the quest.

How to post your load order: http://tescosi.com/wiki/Oblivion:How_to_Post_Your_Load_Order

--Tomlong54210

I've started a save where the Elven Maiden quest isn't in my journal, and that one worked fine. When I tried taking up that quest, the game immediately crashed.

This is my load order:

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

Apachii_Goddess_Store_1.6 DV.esp

BrumaHouse.esp

MODAssassinsCreed2_Revisited.esp

Reznod_Mannequin.esp

BrumaBasement.esp

LACRKatanas_V1.esp

KT_CustomRaceFix.esp

Hidden_Elves.esp

KatanasMod.esp

100_Greenacre Cave V1.0.esp

Bruma Hunting Lodge.esp

Safehouse.esp

Shadowcrest_Vineyard.esp

Thanks,

Sylwina

Unlikely to be related, but if you have Wrye Bash installed you should be able to use the Bashed Patch options to fix the vampire face error and the Custom Race problem, which is two more mods you can remove from the heap. Also (as a diagnostic thing) try using the ShowRaceMenu console command to select a vanilla race, and check whether the crash still happens - yes, I know it'll screw the stats so do NOT save that changed character. Edited by MarkInMKUK

MarkInMKUK: After selecting a vanilla race, the game didnt crash while fast travelling. Ill download wrye bash, and see if that helps.

thanks again.

edit: after reading through the wrye bash description, i think im not going to install it after all, sounds way too complicated for my (non existant) modding skills

Edited by Sylwina

I think I've found the reason why the game keeps crashing. I'm using a custom race, and my character is a vampire, and just after he advanced to the second stage, the game crashes. Could that be possible or is it coincidence?