Going to make a motorcycle mod.

Fragilicious

TLDR; Lone wanderer bike model is a bit naff, will build a new model, probably a scrambler.

Ok, so the model is pretty poorly thought through in terms of functionality (apologies Beth, it's an observation, not a criticism). Clearly this asset was never going to be used as an actual vehicle.

Specifically, there are no suspension details 'built in'. This means that in order to preserve immersion (and accommodate a smoother ride in terms of animation) I will need to alter the model to include front and rear suspension. This will mean altering the frame, which will mean lowering the wheels to make room... but the frame is flat so I will need to expand it... but the frame is a singular piece so I will need to fracture it into bones... which means new wheels, new frame, ah hell I may as well build a new bike.

Easy enough, question is what bike would people want? I can think of 3 types that would be appropriate for a wasteland; a cruiser style bike (like the Lone Wanderer), an off-road bike (Dirt Bike / Scrambler), or a 'junker' (hodge podge of parts put together to approximate a bike).

I think for now I'll go with an off-road bike, given that the body is quite simple, and the wheels and steering/suspension armature is easily separated from the body of the bike it should make for an easier mod to build. I'll put the other two together at some point, but for now we are getting a dirt bike.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good idea. Tracking thread as well.

When it comes to bikes, well I guess the best bet would the "junker" type of motorcycle? Combining both an off road dirt bike with a cruiser style thing, but with rust and scrap and what not. Just my opinion. It would fit well into the setting, I think. Dirt bike tires, suspension and steering with a customized cruiser frame?

Something like this maybe:
http://alfalfastudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Cover.jpg

Taking from a real world example, I was thinking of the AWD-450-M. Probably modified with some simple metal plates to cover the exposed engine parts.

http://blog.christini.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/awd-450-military.jpg

Though your second pic looks like a pretty awesome tourer, maybe room for integration with a camping mod in the future?

Edited by Fragilicious

If you really want to go insane, you could add a new workstation to customize the bike. Armor for more health, spikes for roadkills, bags for carry wight...

Well the amount of work you have to invest into this would also get much more, especially the modeling part...

Next question, I've got images for a blueprint for the bike (to create in 3ds max), what is a good size for setting a reference plane in order to create a model for fallout 4?

Scratch that, I'm going to spend a few days getting to know 3ds Max 2016. I haven't used it since 2013 and I'm having trouble setting up a few planes to use as blueprints :P

Edited by Fragilicious

Wuwu, can you honestly see Danse in a sidecar, or even on a dirtbike in a suit of T60? lol... I would love to see Danse in a sidecar now. None the less, I'm afraid for now it is looking to be a lone wanderer sort of thing. IMHO that's the best way to play survival mode.

Oh, Hancock mudding it up with you on a dirt bike?! Ok, that has got to happen now.

Serious question though, does anyone know if I can export a model from 3ds Max into nifskope (for building animation skeletons) in such a way that will keep the object tree intact?

Specifically, in 3ds Max the model will be split up as follows:

Bike

> Steering / Handlebar Armature (rotation animation)

- Front Suspension springs (compression animation)

> Front Wheel (rotation animation)

> Rear Suspension Arm (pivot animation)

- Rear Wheel (rotation animation)

> Kick Stand (pivot animation)

Does anyone know how I preserve this object hierarchy when exporting?

Thanks again!

Edited by Fragilicious