Retexture Sign Help

Mehra

I've been working on a custom inn for my game, and I've got everything worked out except the sign for outside. Now, I've checked out the tutorials for retexturing already existing models, but I seem to be running into a few issues. I unpacked both the meshes and the texture .bsa files and I have a copy of GIMP. Now, I edited a sign to get what I wanted, but I'm at the step where I'm supposed to make the "normal map". The file _n.dds I unpacked has nothing in it, is that supposed to happen? Or is it supposed to have the funny colored picture? I can't figure out how to make a "normal map" out of my new texture. And I also can't figure out how to add that texture to the CS/game. Any help would be appreciated. I was just on these forums earlier for a scripting issue and so far people have been friendly. I am very inexperienced when it comes to texturing.

TL;DR I suck at texturing, need some help on the "normal map" _n.dds files. Or if someone wants, I can just upload the picture I made if someone would be willing to do it for me. But alas, I probably won't learn well that way.

Thanks.

The normal map is generally a pink coloured partially transparent image. It is needed for the texture to work.

Sadly, I know what it is and what it is used for, but it isn't appearing when I unpack the .bsa files. :(

The normal map is indeed a funny looking picture. On my system, normal maps render as blue with pink and other wild colors as highlights.

To create a normal map, you have to download an additional GIMP plug-in.

What is the name of the file you edited to make your sign?

BSA Commander really should have unpacked it for you. You may wish to open BSA Commander and go manually unpack the one file you are missing. So if for example you are using the sign for the Wawnet Inn, then you would expect to have these files:

wawnetinn.dds

wawnetinn_n.dds

If you are missing something, you can go into BSA Commander and go get it.

I did see those two files, the original and the one _n.dds, but when I opened it, there was an empty file. I do have the plugin for GIMP, maybe I just need to try unpacking them again. If I remember correctly, I used the sign from the Cheydinhal stables. I'll have to give this a second look.

I'm getting rather annoyed. I unpacked them again and regardless of having the plugins for GIMP needed to view these dds files, I cannot for the life of me get the normal map to show! It shows a blank image...

Newsflash!!!

I. AM. DUUUUUUUUUUMB!

I reread the tutorial, and it says to FLATTEN the image. So I opened the normal map, flattened it, and LO AND BEHOLD! I can see it. I cannot believe how bad at reading I am, and yet I love to call others out! FAIL

Not trying to bump my page, as I have resolved the issue. (yay for reading)

Here is a picture of the finished sign, in CS. Thank you everyone for the advice. It just was a PEBKAC issue!