Lets look at Skyrim in 21:9

zax141

Hi

That sounds about right.

With my single 980 ti I am at 70fps at 2560 X 1440 with Vivid Weathers EMB. Running at 60(vsync) gives me some overhead so I get a lot less CTDs. the same ENB setup gets 34fps average at 4k. Vivid Weathers performance ENB puts me in the low 40s at 4k but my 1440 setup looks better.

zax141's observations are correct. There is a big visual leap from 1080 to 1440 in this game. Not so much going from 1440 to 4k. 1440 X 2560 is the sweet spot & 1440 X 3440 even better.

The only reason I went 4k instead of 3440 X 1440 is that good 4k monitors are half the price. I use a Samsung 28"($500) that has superb 1440 output. Some games I do play at 4k, like Fallout 4 Fallout 3/NV. Most modern games I play at 1440. Games like Witcher 3 & DA I look about the same in 1440 & 4k. Only older games that have lots of visual mods look & run beyond belief good at 4k.

I have also noted that that Skyrim doesn't like to use more than 3.5gbs as well. When I use more I run out of ram, not vram.

ENB has greatly improved for high-end cards. .266 & .279 were a nightmares to setup but .305 is about perfect. No stutter, no lag. Frame rate performance has dropped slightly but a perfectly smooth experience is worth it.

ENB at 1440+ is not for the weak. My 970 that performed well at 1080 did not at 1440 & was quickly replaced by a single 980. The 980 ran well but was not close to 60fps. The 980 ti is the only card that I have ever bought that has lived up to the hype. I went from the low 40s with the 980 to the low 70s.

At 1080 it doesn't matter what textures you use the game looks better at 1440. With the right texture setup & ENB the game is past awesome at 1440.

If you got the caps, go for it.

Later

Yep 1440p is great, as I've not used anything really under 1440p to game for 5-6 years I can't really say much for 1080p, apart from the fact I've tried most games on it for fun.

Hi

That sounds about right.

With my single 980 ti I am at 70fps at 2560 X 1440 with Vivid Weathers EMB. Running at 60(vsync) gives me some overhead so I get a lot less CTDs. the same ENB setup gets 34fps average at 4k. Vivid Weathers performance ENB puts me in the low 40s at 4k but my 1440 setup looks better.

zax141's observations are correct. There is a big visual leap from 1080 to 1440 in this game. Not so much going from 1440 to 4k. 1440 X 2560 is the sweet spot & 1440 X 3440 even better.

The only reason I went 4k instead of 3440 X 1440 is that good 4k monitors are half the price. I use a Samsung 28"($500) that has superb 1440 output. Some games I do play at 4k, like Fallout 4 Fallout 3/NV. Most modern games I play at 1440. Games like Witcher 3 & DA I look about the same in 1440 & 4k. Only older games that have lots of visual mods look & run beyond belief good at 4k.

I have also noted that that Skyrim doesn't like to use more than 3.5gbs as well. When I use more I run out of ram, not vram.

ENB has greatly improved for high-end cards. .266 & .279 were a nightmares to setup but .305 is about perfect. No stutter, no lag. Frame rate performance has dropped slightly but a perfectly smooth experience is worth it.

ENB at 1440+ is not for the weak. My 970 that performed well at 1080 did not at 1440 & was quickly replaced by a single 980. The 980 ran well but was not close to 60fps. The 980 ti is the only card that I have ever bought that has lived up to the hype. I went from the low 40s with the 980 to the low 70s.

At 1080 it doesn't matter what textures you use the game looks better at 1440. With the right texture setup & ENB the game is past awesome at 1440.

If you got the caps, go for it.

Later

And I'm sitting here reading this on my 10 year old 17" monitor, maxed out at 1280x1040 :sad:. At least I don't have any trouble getting 60fps...

I beg your pardon?

-SNIP-

Kinda hoping its downsized, but also thinking its not...

It is a downsized 16:3 aspect ratio from 4800x900. My sister just bough three old TVs off eBay specifically for this. She's a bit nuts but I enjoy the immersion.

Quick edit: I can't run this with an ENB, that cripples my framerate to less than 15. Without ENB it runs at 60.

Edited by ZurinArctus85

I beg your pardon?

-SNIP-

It is a downsized 16:3 aspect ratio from 4800x900. My sister just bough three old TVs off eBay specifically for this. She's a bit nuts but I enjoy the immersion.

Quick edit: I can't run this with an ENB, that cripples my framerate to less than 15. Without ENB it runs at 60.

Try http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53083/?

It runs on ENB 0.113 and its supersnappy... My older rig runs it without a hickup...

I beg your pardon?

-SNIP-

Nice, before I ran this monitor I used to have 3 cheap 32inch 1080p TV's in my living room, there my dads he didn't want them when he replaced all the TV's in his house with larger ones.

so I just run them in the living room, normally only have 1 out for cable tv, but it was nice to try.

These things are 28 inch Samsung LED TVs from 2011. She's (my sister) tinkering with them, and she's having a custom mount made for a desk she bought. She funds all of her projects herself, I work late night security at a tomato sauce plant (you guys call it "ketchup") and she works for a small indie game company. I'm sort of an FPS wh*%#, I don't mind dips but butter is nice.

These things are 28 inch Samsung LED TVs from 2011. She's (my sister) tinkering with them, and she's having a custom mount made for a desk she bought. She funds all of her projects herself, I work late night security at a tomato sauce plant (you guys call it "ketchup") and she works for a small indie game company. I'm sort of an FPS prostitute, I don't mind dips but butter is nice.

Can I just say... who in the good name of the kiwi bird calls tomato sauce "ketchup", here in new zealand ketchup is like what we feed our tourists, basicly the cheap version of any decent tomato sauce.

And I get what your saying being a console gamer for many years I never had looks or decent FPS, but really unless its a FPS or a game like Bioshock, I almost always will settle with 40-50fps @ 3440x1440 ultra settings