Oblivion Optimum Install Order

SkyeG

Hi guys,

After deciding to install Oblivion for maybe the 1000th time, I decided this time I wanted to do it right. So i'm looking for a correct/most effective order of installing pretty much everything Oblivion related, things like:

Oblivion (Obviously) :whistling:

Shivering Isles

Patches (OB Patch, SI Patch, UOP)

KOTN

OBGE

etc

So if anyone could break it down in order of install that would be great. The more detail the better as im fed up of installing this game and then breaking it again. :wallbash:

Thanks in advance

SkyeG :teehee:

Assuming English OR American release discs (Run the game after EACH step to make sure it still works - it SHOULD be fine but things CAN go wrong):-

1. Install Oblivion, DO NOT PATCH

2. Install Shivering Isles, THEN the Shivering Isles English Language patch IF NEEDED - if you were using the Game of the Year edition it would automatically be patched to v1.2.0416 anyway, but other versions will need patching.

3. Install any DLC mods you want, especially Knights of the Nine.

4. Istall OBMM, BOSS and Wrye Bash, and make sure they all start ok. I usually use OBMM to do the next 4 stages.

5. Install the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP)

6. Install the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (UOSP)

7. Install the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (UOMP). Ensure you ONLY select the mods you have installed otherwise it WILL crash.

8. Install the Unofficial Oblivion Patch supplementals.

Then back up your installation before adding other mods - I use mTES4 Manager to handle cloned setups which is pretty simple to use.

Next, add OBSE, Fast Exit 2, Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System, OBGE, and any common plugins such as Pluggy and Elys' Universal Silent Voice.

Check it all still works, back up again.

Next I'd suggest big cosmetic stuff that you ALWAYS use, for example Menu changers, map changers, your usual body mods and matching stock clothing/armor replacers, also graphical overhauls such as QTP3.

Backup again (are you noticing a theme emerging here?).

Then start adding other mods, one at a time, and check stuff starts ok each time. Each time, run BOSS once it is installed and rebuild your bashed patch in Wrye Bash. Once you are happy with it, backup again - disk space is cheap these days.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

I find this guide to be very helpful.

That's the link to the old site. :( I blame Google for pushing it to the top of search results.

Here's the page on the current site: http://tescosi.com/wiki/Oblivion:Mod_Installation

...and another page: http://tescosi.com/wiki/Oblivion:A_General_Order_for_Installing_Mods

There's also the complete installation guide, if you're plain new to modding Oblivion: http://tescosi.com/wiki/Oblivion:Complete_Installation_Guide

Happy gaming!

--Tomlong54210

• 3 years later...