Crashing after start new game

5m0k3

OK, I tried clean boot, still crash. Reinstalled Dx9c ... run with/without obse a still crashing :( dunno what else i can do to run it smoothly

so u didnt install any mods? and u tried run it as adminstrator? did u try installing uop?

Without mod, as administrator + tried most of compatibilities... what uop?

Don't worry about the UOP. It's a mod. Why is OBSE installed? Can you do a clean reinstallation, not modify it, and tell me if it runs? Get something working before you add anything to it. That makes identifying the problem much, much easier. Also, is this Oblivion off the CD or from Steam?

Uninstalling Oblivion: http://tescosi.com/wiki/Oblivion:Uninstalling_Oblivion

Installing Oblivion: http://tescosi.com/wiki/Oblivion:Installing_Oblivion

Clean first. Then worry about mods, OBSE, utilities, etc.

--Tomlong54210

Try running the game and making a save before you install SI or any patches. The patch will make changes to the ini, but you won't have one before this.

Also add Oblivion's exe to your antivirus' trusted applications list. If the game is trying to access a file and gets denied, or if you get a warning from your AV, it will crash the game. The timing of your crashes makes me suspect this as a possible cause.

Do you use any kind of instant messenger? If so, kill it. They are well-documented crash causers.

If you have too many background processes running, it can eat up your computer's resources, not leaving enough to run the game ( the ONLY time my game ever crashes is when i forget to disable my wireless connection and Windows starts downloading an update [or right after i tell someone that it never crashes, wish me luck]). You could try a program like Game Booster to safely shut down as many of these as possible. Just make sure you add it to your AV's trusted apps also, or you might see a net loss in performance.

Try running the game and making a save before you install SI or any patches. The patch will make changes to the ini, but you won't have one before this.

Also add Oblivion's exe to your antivirus' trusted applications list. If the game is trying to access a file and gets denied, or if you get a warning from your AV, it will crash the game. The timing of your crashes makes me suspect this as a possible cause.

Do you use any kind of instant messenger? If so, kill it. They are well-documented crash causers.

If you have too many background processes running, it can eat up your computer's resources, not leaving enough to run the game ( the ONLY time my game ever crashes is when i forget to disable my wireless connection and Windows starts downloading an update [or right after i tell someone that it never crashes, wish me luck]). You could try a program like Game Booster to safely shut down as many of these as possible. Just make sure you add it to your AV's trusted apps also, or you might see a net loss in performance.

A clean boot should've eliminated those causes because any AntiVirus and any other non-default services should've been disabled already during that run. However, I al think Game Booster can be a useful utility for some.

--Tomlong54210

Edit: wording

Hi !

Sorry for my english but I'm french so i have difficulties...

Are you sure your problem don't come from Windows 7 ?

I read the messages here and did a search on the web in french and some people have the same crash you have.

I don't really know how to explain but the guy tell that Oblivion was crashing and he finally found that he must not run Oblivion with Oblivion.exe (This was creating default parameters who was not "good" for his graphic card because he is on Windows 7).

So he erased "Oblivion.ini" in Documents/my games/oblivion then launch OblivionLaucher.exe after applying patches but before running the game.

I don't know if it will work for you but you can try... I just want to tell that i'm not good in computers and that idea is not mine !

Last thing : He also tell that he had to tell to OBMM to use OBSE and not Oblivion.exe cause his computer wanted to do that.

Good luck to you !

Someone on Window 7 can definitely run the game through Oblivion.exe. Most launch-related problems that are purely related to Windows 7 or Windows Vista are due to UAC interference. Reinstalling the game outside of the default folder generally avoids such problems. The interference also affect many utilities, including OBMM. If OBMM is functioning properly, without interference, you should not have to tell it to use OBSE. (I don't think I even now how you would go about doing that.) OBMM automatically detects OBSE and launches using the OBSE loader executable it is found. It's definitely safer to launch the game through a shortcut to your desired launcher (obse_loader.exe for OBSE users and Oblivion.exe to run the game without OBSE). Bash's solutions seems to work well, but the surest method is to use your shortcuts and not launch through utilities.

Removing the Oblivion.ini is just a way of regenerating it. When you run the launcher, it sets some video setting presets. Most newer graphics/video cards are going to have the settings automatically set to medium because the card will not be recognized by this old game. Furthermore, the OP is having issues after modifying his video settings, not with the original settings (if I've been following this thread correctly).

--Tomlong54210

So... I tried clean installation of Oblivion, still the same... so I unnistaled some programs, which can make problems -> still the same crashing.. at last I decided to completely format my HDD, install clean windows, basic programs and the game seems working.. So it must be some software fighting with the game.. I'm going to try install patches and mods (like qarl's HD TP) hope works..

Ty every1 for help & advices. ^^

Edited by 5m0k3