Cartridge RPG-style games, on the PC?

Sebiale

Think Game Boy Advance graphics, and the graphics are kind of important, even though it's the combat system and dialog system that draw me, but those derive from the graphics.

Golden Sun is a good model.

Top-down view, party combat via menus and little animations, RPG-style gameplay, and those dialog systems where you have bit-characters making little emotions and talking through still portraits, and, optionally, Golden Sun style abilities, but really it's just having that kind of puzzle/maze feature to game environment.

That's what I want.

But I want to play it on the PC.

Am I odd?

Maybe.

I know it can be done, I've been playing the Legend of Queen Opala on my PC all day. While it's not the most...reputable...of games, it's a good example of what I'm searching for.

Does anyone know any other games that do this? Is there a name for the genre?

The only thing I can think of would be a flash game (something from Armor Games).

In this day and age it's going to be hard to dig something like that up, seeing how everyone is obsessed with "l337 graphix". Also, you might try asking around at rpgcodex, they might know something over there.

Well, you could emulate any that were released on consoles.

That sounds really nice too. Don't know much about them though :S (Does a brief browse through emulator-zone.)

Do most emulator programs require having control devices beyond the mouse and keyboard? (I.E. joystick, and other devices). Do you know if there are emulators (or maybe plug-ins) that can make do with just a mouse and keyboard?

Do a search for RPGMaker. I'll let you figure the rest out.

Most are incomplete fanmade titles, but they have that classic feel (mostly because they use the same extracted or recreated graphics).

Doh!

That should have occurred to me, since LoQO was made with RPGMakerXP :P

Thanks. :)

Edited by Sebiale

Well, you could emulate any that were released on consoles.

That sounds really nice too. Don't know much about them though :S (Does a brief browse through emulator-zone.)

Do most emulator programs require having control devices beyond the mouse and keyboard? (I.E. joystick, and other devices). Do you know if there are emulators (or maybe plug-ins) that can make do with just a mouse and keyboard?

If it's a console that doesn't use analog, then there's really no need for controller.

Otherwise, yes, you need a controller.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8848/

this looks like what you were looking for

Oooh, those do look nice. :D

It'd be so much easier if console game companies would just port their games to the PC for me :P I wouldn't mind even if they purposely only released games that are already rather old. I think they're starting to move in that direction, very slowly...

I know Legend of Dragoon and Breath of Fire IV, two of my favorite PS games have been re-released, LoD on the PSN, and BoF IV on the PC (not digital AFAIK but I'll take what I can get). However, LoD is only on the Japanese PSN, and the PC BoF was never released in the U.S.

Edited by Sebiale

Well guys, I can tell y'all right now that the upper administration of the site doesn't like the discussion of ROMS, so I hate to say it... but discussing the emulation here on the boards would be something that we should stay away from.

I do know that there's sites online that have a lot of the old classic console games available. Gametap is a good example. Tho they charge for monthly membership. But its an example of what I'm referring to. Some of them have some that you can download to play, or others have got the games converted to flash or java to play thru your browser.

Not at home right now, but I did a google search for classic console games online that turned up some interesting results.

I also did a search for Atari and found that Direct2drive has some old atari classics for sale for the PC.

I would image that a search for other manufacturers would come up with similar results.

Man.... I miss some of those old games. I used to love Rygar when I was a knee-biter :laugh: