Feel like giving up as a modder

thelawfull

Yeah, you should be VERY selective when you take on requests. I've done about ten, and all of them I did because I was interested in some aspect of the project regardless of whether or not the person requesting it was satisfied with the result. You can go back a few pages on the mod request forum. They tend to come in very fast and some good ones get buried. Just because something was requested two years ago doesn't mean it's not still a good idea.

OK, sorry about the late reply but I had a bit of an issue with my computer lately and I ended up having to bite the bullet and do a system restore, and am still in the process of reinstalling everything and so on. Anyway, after reading through some of your descriptions the main advice I'd give you is to be more specific and give more detailed information about your mods. Most of your descriptions don't seem to be more than a couple of sentences, and there is undoubtedly more info you could give. One thing that I think all different kinds of creators have a tenancy to do is to assume that their audience understands the basics of whatever it is they've created. When you work on any sort of project for a long enough period of time, there are going to be all kinds of changes and developments along the way that are easy to forget about when you try to explain your ideas to someone else. This happens in movies, books, games, and virtually all other media. Here is a video that talks briefly about this at about the three minute mark or so. There are also lots of other useful videos on that channel too, so I highly recommend checking them out. By the way, I ran across a post here on the Nexus of someone who is offering to help write descriptions. You may want to talk to them and see if they'd be willing to work with you on your mods. I hope this helps, and let me know if you need anything else or have more questions.

Me personally, I make mods for myself ... My Skyrim directory has hundreds of Gb's of crap in it, and my games files,(particularly mesh and textures) are so far removed from vanilla it's almost a different game! When I upload things to the Nexus, I always add as much detail about the mod as possible, most importantly "why" I created the mod, and what I intended it for. This sets the stage and the baseline for what the mod is about.

I also always make sure people are aware that I made the stuff to MY liking, and that I uploaded it because maybe someone else thinks the same. I always like to read feedback, even negative stuff, (if it's done politely) because it can sometimes lead to improvements you never thought of. Also NEVER make expansive claims or statements about what you mods does, other than what it does for YOU and you alone.

It can be hard to see others denouncing your work, particularly if you are proud of what you've done or if it suits YOU perfectly, but "different strokes for different folks" as they say, and you've got to expect at least 'some' negative feedback.

Of course there are ALWAYS going to be some of "those people", but you can generally ignore them, or even block them from viewing your mod.

Never give up though .. .Creation is one of the most satisfying things you can do, and bringing something to life in a game, even a simple, teeny, tiny fix for an annoying feature, is always good for the soul :)

You could always have someone help you out by simply playing the mods and then PMing you a decent description. There's nothing strange about being bad at describing your creations.

When I say always, I mean it. Someone on the Nexus would be more than happy to do so, myself included.

Edited by Percephere

Thanks for this thread. Made me consider my current upload description. I'm a wordy bugger and most of the time I start the description with humour or some fiction, then go into the nitty gritty. While some might enjoy that, others might see the obviously non-informative text, switch off, and lose interest. So, to that end, I put the shortest concise description of the mod I could come up with (though some humour was included) right at the start titled 'Short version' - then into the song that was originally going to open the description. It is still quite a long description as I can't resist commentary along the way and try to include anything I think relevant. Sometimes I wonder if the audience is thinking, "Stop talking." :)

Nope I'm just giving up, thanks for trying to lift my spirits but I will always be bashed upon by people who can design better then me and that won't change. I wish you all good luck on what you do though in the future cause I'm done.