Ships and Naval Guild

duncanlambert

Again, i come to you with outlandish requests and ideas that appeal to me but will probably never come into fruition as i doubt any modder is prepaired to even attempt the scripting, but here goes anyway.

I would like to see active boats upon the waters of Cyrodil. I know there isnt *that* much water so the boats would have to be only up to the size of small frigates. But what i would like is for there to be an Admirilty guild for traders and other sea dogs. When you join you get access to a small sailing boat designed for 1-3 men (sort of what Jack Sparrow was on in the start of Pirates of the Carribian) and when you use the steering device at the rear, be it rudder or wheel, you gain control in much the same way as you mount a horse, only with a much larger turning circle and can only travel upon water.

The guild would start by giving you trading missions which would send you to ports in Leyawiin and Bravil for small profit. On the way other ships might try to board you to take your loot, involving some form hooks that would grapple the two boats together, so you could either run along the side of the ship severing the ropes, or stand and prepair to be boarded by the crew of the opposing vessle. If you win and you like the look of their ship, its as simple as approaching their steering device and going about your merry way upon your upgrade, the ship left behind being scuttled and sunk so's not to clutter up the waters with abandoned boats.

Npc's and companions could play a part by going about their buisness upon your ships like scurrying up and down the rigging or scrubbing the poop deck (snigger), after all, a captain needs a crew. Maybe among other crewmen you could find a helmsman so you dont have to steer your own ship if you dont want to. just talk to him/her and tell them which port to go to, sending the ship on pre-programmed routes to your chosen destination. Some Npc's could come better equipped and thus double up as marines for boarding other ships. It would be nice if each possible member had some personality so you could get attached to them and feel the pain of loss should you fail to protect your crew properly.

Some of the set story missions for the Guild could have you going from trading, to deep sea diving to recover lost cargo from a sunk ship. Maybe you start your missions as not even a captain but a seaman (snigger) so your on a boat along for the ride rather then having full control. Perhaps you could be on a long voyage and take part in a mutiny, and choose who to side with, the crewmen or the officers. Hunting down a rogue vessel who turns out to be crewed by the undead and lots and lots of other possibilities.

Any modders with the sea flowing in their veins and the urge to return to the waters should love to at least attempt some part of this mod. Does any of this sound appealing to anyone out there?

There are, of course, assorted ship mods, some of which are steerable, and some are just a method of point-to-point transport. As far as a Guild goes, it would be interesting, but because of the default river depths and bridges, it'd mean very small ships or boats to do the transporting. Might be more suitable for a larger mod which has reinstated the other lands around Cyrodiil, so there is a possibility of circumnavigation or round-the-coast routes.

You can either have moving ships or you can have NPCs that can walk around on them. Anything between will prove unreliable and very glitchy. Try taking a look at Side_s Sailing Ships mod. You can steer the ships and move them around, but I've found that the interiors on the ships tend to crash the game, and NPCs just glitch and fall off the boat.