Fast Travel Overhaul

xchargerfanx

I believe that many Oblivion players can come to the agreement that the current fast traveling system is cheap and takes away from the exploring factor of the game, as well as making mounts useless. I've seen mods that disable fast travel altogether, or limit the distance that you can fast travel in one time; however, these approaches make getting around too hard due to the fact that you can only run or use a horse the entire time. What I am proposing is a fast traveling system that discourages fast traveling to anywhere in the game, but can still use it to get to places when you absolutely need to - for a price. I am thinking about working on this myself but since I am relatively new to creating mods it might take me some time to familiarize myself with obse and the cs set. Also, I am leaving for college soon so I probably will not be able to finish if I do start it. For these reasons, I am encouraging anyone to start on this project as soon as you are able and willing to. I have a couple ideas for this mod:

1. Taxi system: Fast travel can only be used to get around cities. You won't be able to fast travel in to the wilderness, so you will be encouraged to go out and explore yourself when you need to. You can hop on a horse wagon and that takes you to any city - the further the city, the higher the price. Maybe limit the distance you can travel from city to city as well? Also, possibly run into random encounters during your ride: your wagon is stopped by highwaymen and must kill them to continue.

2. Teleportation: This one might be aimed more towards mage characters, seeing that teleportation is a magic spell. With this spell, you can teleport to all (or certain) spots, as long as you have the required level and magicka pool to do the spell. You might need to go on some miniquest to obtain the spell, then probably spend some money to buy it and use it.

These are just a few ideas. I am going to try to get started on this if I can, but most likely I will not be able to finish because of my busy schedule at work and college starting up soon. I encourage anybody that thinks they can pull this off to start as soon as they can!

How about sedan chairs for the in-city transport :) You keep the air of realism about hiring a vehicle, and they can handle the steps, but the "time to get there" bit is lost. Particularly for the Imperial City, it's a nice touch to add. Edited by MarkInMKUK