Tes Gecko

Saraane

I'm having huge problems getting this to work! I've made sure that I have the correct version of Java, I moved everything over to C:\ oblivion just to try and prevent machine confusion but I am still getting an invalidation message that says it can't find the Oblivion directory. Please help!

What do you mean by you moved everything over to C:\Oblivion? You can't simply move the folder and expect things to work. You need to uninstall Oblivion and then reinstall it to the new folder, else the registry entries are not updated and utilities like TES4Gecko will not be able to find the install folder. Have you got Gecko to start up correctly -- GUI is short for Graphic User Interface and refers to the Gecko dialog.

I'll try reinstalling. It's weird though... Bash still works as does the CS and mod manager. *shrug*

What do you mean by you moved everything over to C:\Oblivion? You can't simply move the folder and expect things to work. You need to uninstall Oblivion and then reinstall it to the new folder, else the registry entries are not updated and utilities like TES4Gecko will not be able to find the install folder. Have you got Gecko to start up correctly -- GUI is short for Graphic User Interface and refers to the Gecko dialog.

Some utilities work (or appear to work) if you just grab Oblivion and move it to a new directory. But as time goes by, you will notice more and more things that do not work right because you didn't reinstall.

It will be nice when Skyrim comes out, because it will presumably work just fine on Windows 7. It is rather annoying how everyone has to play tricks on Oblivion to make it work, because it only likes XP, and everyone has Vista or Windows 7 these days.

• 3 months later...

If you've Cut and Pasted your Oblivion folder, reinstallation is the only realistic means of getting your registry to point to it's new location. Sure, you could manually go through your registry and alter all the entries to point to the right place but you're talking about a lot of registry entries and there's always the potential for human error. However, there's good news. If you follow Bben's Guide for Reinstalling Oblivion you should be able to keep your mods preserved. The only thing I'd add to his procedure is use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Oblivion as it scans for left over registry entries and asks if you'd like to delete them.

If you haven't moved your installation (as there really isn't a reason to on XP), then your issue lies elsewhere and I'd recommend starting your own thread on it including as many relevant details as possible (error messages, how you installed Gecko, how you're launching it, etc.).